Calculating Sum of Series on Ti-89 | 3 Decimal Places

In summary, The person is having trouble with plugging sum series into their Ti-89 calculator. They have a sum that has been rounded to 3 decimal places and goes from 1 to infinity. They have tried using the command "sum(seq(function, variable, start, stop, step size))" but keep getting a domain error. They have also tried using different stop values, but are unsure how to get the sum from 1 to infinity. They are wondering if they need to use finite stops and then interpret the answer to find the real sum. They have also tried using the command "sum((10y^2)/(y^4+12),y,1,∞,1)" but it only returns the formula
d.tran103
Hey, I'm having trouble with plugging sum series into my Ti-89, and was wondering how to do it with things converging and going to infinity. I have the sums rounded to 3 decimal places that my professor gave me, however, I can't figure out how to get it from the calculator. For example I have,

Ʃ10(n^2)/(n^4+12)=5.960

On the worksheet it says assume each summation goes from 1 to infinity. It doesn't give me my step size, so I'm assuming it's one?

I know the command is:
sum(seq(function, variable, start, stop, step size))

and so I have:

sum(seq((10y^2)/(y^4+12),y,1,∞,1))

and it's telling me that I have a domain error.

So I tried different stops such as stuff lower than 100 and it works. So my question is how do I get the sum from 1 to infinity? Do I have to improvise and use finite stops (for example 50, etc.)? And then interpret the answer to find the real sum?

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
or if I do:
sum((10y^2)/(y^4+12),y,1,∞,1)

it returns

10Ʃ(10y^2)/(y^4+12)
y=1

without giving me the answer (even if I hit diamond).

1. How do I calculate the sum of a series on my Ti-89 calculator?

To calculate the sum of a series on your Ti-89 calculator, follow these steps:
1. Press the "Apps" button on your calculator
2. Scroll down and select "Data/Matrix Editor"
3. Press the "New..." button and enter the name of your series in the "Name" field
4. Enter the values of your series in the "Data" field, separated by commas
5. Press "Enter" to save your data
6. Press the "Apps" button again and select "Calculus Tools"
7. Select "Taylor/Maclaurin Series" from the menu
8. Enter the name of your series in the "Function" field
9. Enter the lower and upper limits of your series in the "Lower Bound" and "Upper Bound" fields
10. Enter the number of decimal places you want your answer to be accurate to in the "Digits" field
11. Press "Enter" to calculate the sum of your series.

2. What is a series on a Ti-89 calculator?

A series on a Ti-89 calculator is a mathematical expression that consists of a sequence of terms, with each term being a function of the same variable. The series can be finite or infinite, and can be represented in a variety of ways, such as a sum, a product, or a power series. The calculator can be used to calculate the sum, product, or power series of a given series, accurate to a specified number of decimal places.

3. How do I enter a series with decimal values on my Ti-89 calculator?

To enter a series with decimal values on your Ti-89 calculator, follow these steps:
1. Press the "Apps" button on your calculator
2. Scroll down and select "Data/Matrix Editor"
3. Press the "New..." button and enter the name of your series in the "Name" field
4. Enter the values of your series in the "Data" field, separated by commas
5. Press "Enter" to save your data
6. Press the "Apps" button again and select "Calculus Tools"
7. Select "Taylor/Maclaurin Series" from the menu
8. Enter the name of your series in the "Function" field
9. Enter the lower and upper limits of your series in the "Lower Bound" and "Upper Bound" fields
10. Enter the number of decimal places you want your answer to be accurate to in the "Digits" field
11. Press "Enter" to calculate the sum of your series.

4. Can I change the number of decimal places in my answer on the Ti-89 calculator?

Yes, you can change the number of decimal places in your answer on the Ti-89 calculator by adjusting the "Digits" field in the Taylor/Maclaurin Series menu. Simply enter the desired number of decimal places and press "Enter" to recalculate the sum of your series with the new accuracy.

5. Is the sum of a series on my Ti-89 calculator always accurate to 3 decimal places?

No, the accuracy of the sum of a series on your Ti-89 calculator will depend on the number of decimal places you specify in the "Digits" field. The calculator will round the answer to the specified number of decimal places, but this does not necessarily mean it is accurate to that many decimal places. For more precise answers, you can increase the number of decimal places in the "Digits" field.