Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of series with normal CDF

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    I am trying to calculate the following sum:

[itex]vt\Phi(a)+\frac{(vt)^2}{2!}\Phi(\sqrt{2}a)+\frac{(vt)^3}{3!}\Phi(\sqrt{3}a)+\frac{(vt)^4}{4!}\Phi ( \sqrt{4}a)+\ldots[/itex]

where [itex]\Phi[/itex] is the standard normal CDF. [itex]v,t,a[/itex] are constants.

A relevant formula is [itex]e^x=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+\frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^4}{4!}+\ldots[/itex]. But this cannot be directly applied.

We can also transform [itex]\Phi(\sqrt{n}a)[/itex] from integrals with different upper bounds to integrals with identical upper bound in the following way:
    [itex]\Phi(\sqrt{n}a)=\int_{-\infty}^{\sqrt{n}a}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}dx=\int_{-\infty}^{a}\frac{\sqrt{n}} { \sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{(\sqrt{n}x)^2}{2}}dx[/itex]

Therefore, the original question is now to calculate
    [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{a}[vte^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}+\frac{(vt)^2}{2!}\sqrt{2}e^{-\frac{(\sqrt{2}x)^2}{2}}+\frac{(vt)^3}{3!}\sqrt{3}e^{-\frac{(\sqrt{3}x)^2}{2}}+\frac{(vt)^4}{4!}\sqrt{4}e^{-\frac{(\sqrt{4}x)^2}{2}}+\ldots]dx[/itex]

But still, I don't know how to calculate the sum in the brackets.

Please let me know if you have any progress or if you spot any error in the above transformation.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2

Very hard to understand what you wrote as you didn't introduce the [itex]...[/itex] symbols correctly. Try again and check (with "preview post") before you send your post.

DonAntonio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook