Find the Sum of Series up to 11 Terms

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of a series up to 11 terms, with each term being the sum of the first n natural numbers raised to a certain power divided by the sum of the first n natural numbers. The solution is given using the formulas for the sum of the first n natural numbers, the sum of the squares of the first n natural numbers, and the sum of the cubes of the first n natural numbers. However, the solution obtained does not match any of the options given on the test.
rohanprabhu

Homework Statement

Find the sum of the series:

[tex]
S = 1~+~\frac{1 + 2^3}{1 + 2}~+~\frac{1 + 2^3 + 3^3}{1 + 2 + 3}~+~\frac{1 + 2^3 + 3^3 + 4^3}{1 + 2 + 3 + 4}~+~...
[/tex]

upto 11 terms

Homework Equations

Sum of first 'n' natural numbers: [tex]S = \frac{n(n + 1)}{2}[/tex]
Sum of the squares of the first 'n' natural numbers: [tex]S = \frac{n(n + 1)(2n + 1)}{6}[/tex]
Sum of the cubes of the first 'n' natural numbers: [tex]S = \left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\right)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the series, the [itex]n^{th}[/itex] term is given by:

[tex]
T_n = \frac{1 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + n^3}{1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n}
[/tex]

[tex]
T_n = \frac{\left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\right)^2}{\left(\frac{n(n + 1)}{2}\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
T_n = \frac{1}{2}(n^2 + n)
[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]
S_n = \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{n(n + 1)(2n + 1)}{6} + \frac{n(n + 1)}{2}\right)
[/tex]

On substituting n = 11, I get:

[tex]
S_n = 286
[/tex]

But this isn't one of the options I got on the test. All the options were between 300-400 and all had their last digit '9' [that's all i remember.. they took the question paper away].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well from what I see there are no errors. Are you sure you have the question right? Even when we sum 12 terms, we get 364, and 13 would be more than 400.

nope.. the question is definitely this. I remember it since i tried to solve for it quite some time. And nope.. not even 364 is an option...

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of a series up to 11 terms?

The formula for finding the sum of a series up to 11 terms is S = n/2(2a + (n-1)d), where S is the sum, n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference.

2. How does the number of terms affect the sum of a series up to 11 terms?

The number of terms directly affects the sum of a series up to 11 terms. As the number of terms increases, the sum also increases. This is because there are more terms being added together.

3. What happens if the common difference is 0 when finding the sum of a series up to 11 terms?

If the common difference is 0, then the series is a sequence of the same number repeated 11 times. In this case, the sum of the series would simply be 11 times the first term.

4. Can the sum of a series up to 11 terms be negative?

Yes, the sum of a series up to 11 terms can be negative. This can occur if the series has alternating positive and negative terms, or if there is a common difference that causes the terms to decrease as the series progresses.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the sum of a series up to 11 terms?

There are some shortcuts and tricks for finding the sum of certain types of series, such as geometric series or arithmetic series with a constant common difference. However, for a general series up to 11 terms, the formula S = n/2(2a + (n-1)d) must be used to find the sum.