1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of Series

1. Dec 7, 2014 #1
    Can someone explain how to compute the sum of the following series?
    1/(n2 + (r-1)2) + 1/(n2 + (r)2) + 1/(n2 + (r+1)2) + ....1/(n2 + (n-1)2)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2
    Is anyone there?

4. Dec 7, 2014 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Explain the context. Do you seek a closed form expression that is simpler to write than the sum itself? Do you need an approximation?

I suggest we first try to find the summation::
    [itex] S_m = \sum_{k=1}^m {\frac{1}{1 + k^2}} [/itex].
    since the result might be used to derive the summation of the series you gave.

5. Dec 7, 2014 #4
    I don't have an idea as to how to go about finding even the summation you gave. Can you give me a clue?

6. Dec 7, 2014 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I can only give suggestions. ( I could give a "clue" if I knew how to sum it already.)

Apply the section "Rational Functions" in the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_series

[itex] \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{1+k^2} = -\frac{1}{2} + \frac{\pi}{2} coth(\pi) [/itex]

So perhaps a substitution involving the hyperbolic cotangent would be useful in doing the finite sum. I'll keep thinking about it.

7. Dec 7, 2014 #6
    Woah. I think this is beyond what my curriculum asks for. I am pretty sure that it doesn't involve trigonometric solutions as simplification of any series. I think this has something else to do with. Definitely not this way.

8. Dec 7, 2014 #7

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What has your curriculum covered? Is this in a chapter on mathematical induction?

9. Dec 7, 2014 #8
    Mathematical Induction in my curriculum doesn't include sum of series etc. It just involves proving LHS = RHS or proving the given statement by using induction. This topic is done in sequences and series. But it just involves basic sums like - ∑n, ∑n2, ∑n3. And I don't know how to incorporate these 3 into the summation above to simplify it.

10. Dec 7, 2014 #9

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Did you quote the problem exactly? - or does the statement of the problem use summation notation?

11. Dec 8, 2014 #10
    Its a part of the problem that I told you. The exact problem is-

Consider a function f(x) = 1/(1+x2)
    Let αn = 1/n *([itex] \sum_{r=1}^n {f(\frac{r}{n}}))[/itex]
    and βn = 1/n *([itex] \sum_{r=0}^{n-1} {f(\frac{r}{n}})) [/itex] ; n ∈ N
    α = limn →∞n ) & β = limn →∞n )
    then αn/β - βn/α will always be? (Answer: A real number)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  12. Dec 8, 2014 #11

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Is the sum supposed to be [itex] \sum_{r=0}^{n-1} f(\frac{r}{n}) [/itex] ? It begins at [itex] r = 0 [/itex] ?

13. Dec 8, 2014 #12
    Yes. I didn't know how to write it up. Anyways, I have edited it now. :)

14. Dec 8, 2014 #13

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

My guess is that you don't have to find a summation formula in order to work the problem. I'd start wtih an equation relating [itex] \alpha_n [/itex] to [itex] \beta_n [/itex]

[itex] \alpha_n + \frac{1}{n} f(\frac{0}{n}) - \frac{1}{n}f(\frac{n}{n}) = \beta_n [/itex]

15. Dec 8, 2014 #14
    How did you come about this equation? I can't figure it out?

16. Dec 8, 2014 #15

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Compare the terms in the sum for [itex] \alpha_n [/itex] with those in the sum for [itex] \beta_n [/itex]. The sum for [itex] \alpha_n [/itex] is missing the [itex] r= 0 [/itex] term that [itex] \beta_n [/itex] has. The sum for [itex] \alpha_n [/itex] has a term for [itex] r = n [/itex] that [itex] \beta_n [/itex] does not.

17. Dec 8, 2014 #16
    Oh yeah. I got that now. But the solution that I have says-
    [itex] \alpha_n - \beta_n = \frac{1}{n}( f(0) - f(n)) [/itex]
    And comparing to the clue you gave me I get-
    [itex] \alpha_n - \beta_n = \frac{1}{n}( f(1) - f(0) [/itex]
    This leaves me confused as to what went wrong.
    Here's the solution that I have. It confuses me everytime I go through it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  18. Dec 8, 2014 #17
    No:D

19. Dec 8, 2014 #18

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

There are two different problems. The problem you stated is related to Riemann sums for [itex] \int_0^1 f(x) dx [/itex]. The problem in the solution is related to Riemann sums for [itex]\int_0^n f(x) dx [/itex].

In the problem you stated, the definition of [itex] \alpha_n [/itex] is a Riemann sum using the altitude at the right hand point of the base of each rectangle. In the solution, [itex] \alpha_n [/itex] is defined to use the altitutde at the left hand point of the base of each rectangle.

20. Dec 8, 2014 #19
    Woah. This is not even a part of my course. I think you went a bit too far with that. Could you please explain what you said more clearly? How does the limit n→∞ change the limits from 0 to n to 0 to 1 in the integral?

21. Dec 8, 2014 #20

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Have you studied definite integrals? Riemann sums?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook