What is the solution to finding the sum of square sin() functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the value of y in a series of sin equations. The conversation includes suggestions to use known equations and identities to simplify the solution. Ultimately, it is determined that using the identity sin(x) = cos(90-x) makes the problem almost trivial and gives a final solution of 5.
Aikon
Hi all,
I work as monitor for a pre-university course and one student showed me this problem:

Homework Statement

To find how much is y:
y=sin2(10)+sin2(20)+sin2(30)+...+sin2(80)+sin2(90)

Homework Equations

I don't know. I thought about sen2x+cos2x=1

The Attempt at a Solution

To use the equation given above and to write a series of cos()'s, but i don't think it get better than before.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aikon said:

Homework Equations

I thought about sin2x+cos2x=1

You are on the right track. Use also that sin(x)=cos(90-x). For example, sin(80°)=cos(10°).

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
There's another identity that I think will be helpful:
[tex]sin^2(x) = \frac{1 - cos(2x)}{2}[/tex]

Also, cos(x) = -cos([itex]\pi[/itex] - x)

Thank you all the answers.

I liked this:
ehild said:
You are on the right track. Use also that sin(x)=cos(90-x). For example, sin(80°)=cos(10°).

ehild

With this identity it becomes almost trivial, because (sin210 +sin280)=1 and it goes like this for other pairs, it gives 5 in the end.

What is the definition of "Sum of square sin() functions"?

The sum of square sin() functions refers to a mathematical expression that involves adding multiple sine functions, each squared, together.

What is the purpose of using "Sum of square sin() functions" in scientific research?

"Sum of square sin() functions" can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and mechanical vibrations. It can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of these phenomena.

How do you calculate the "Sum of square sin() functions"?

The calculation of "Sum of square sin() functions" involves finding the square of each individual sine function, adding them together, and then taking the square root of the result.

What are some real-world applications of "Sum of square sin() functions"?

Some examples of real-world applications of "Sum of square sin() functions" include signal processing, image and sound compression, and time series analysis in economics and finance.

Are there any limitations or assumptions when using "Sum of square sin() functions" in scientific research?

One limitation of using "Sum of square sin() functions" is that it assumes that the phenomena being modeled can be accurately described by sine functions. Additionally, it may not be suitable for highly complex or nonlinear systems.