1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of squares

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See Attachment.

2. Relevant equations
    x^TAx where x=<x,y,z> and A is some 3x3 matrix

3. The attempt at a solution
    See Attachment. From here i have found the eigenvalues and vectors. What should I do next?.\

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would have not bothered at all to get the eigenvalues; I would just perform Cholesky factorization on A: find an upper-triangular matrix U such that A = U^T * U. Just expand this out to find the following algorithm for U:
    U[1,1] = sqrt(A[1,1]) and for j=2,...,n, U[1,j] = A[1,j]/U[1,1].
    for i from 2 to n do U[i,i]=sqrt(A[i,i]-sum_{k=1..i-1} U[k,i]^2) and for j=i+1,...,n,
    U[i,j] = (A[i,j] - sum_{k=1..i-1} U[k,i]*U[k,j])/U[i,i].
    (Note: even if you have not seen this before, it only takes about 5-10 minutes to master, and then you can do it quickly by hand for matrices up to about 10x10 or even a bit more, using nothing beyond a hand-held calculator.)

For your matrix A we have U = [[1,1,2],[0,sqrt(3),4sqrt(3)],[0,0,2]] (= [row1,row2,row3])
    So, if u1 = (row1 of U) * <x,y,z> = x+y+2z, u2 = (row2 of U) * <x,y,z> = sqrt(3)y + 4sqrt(3)z and u3 = (row3 of U) * <x,y,z> = 2z, then Q = x^T A x = u1^2 + u2^2 + u3^2. If you expand this out you will see that you get back to your original form, so it gives you exactly what you want: Q written as a sum of squares. No eigenvalues need be involved at all.

RGV

4. Dec 3, 2011 #3
    Thanks RGV. I've actually devised a less memory draining way by writing U as a generic upper triangular matrix which I presume is the way the Cholesky decomposition was devised.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook