What is the Sum of Torques on a Nut Placed in a Nutcracker with One Lever?

• Thread starter warfreak131
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary: F_{2}Can you clarify what the variables F_{n}, d, and D represent?In summary, the problem is asking to find F_{2}, the maximum torque needed to break the nut in a nutcracker with a single lever. The sum of all the torques is equal to 0, so the torque of the small lever and the torque of the large lever must be balanced by the normal force of the shell at distance d. The torque at the hinge is equal to T = F_2 x D, and the perpendicular force acting on the nut is F_nut = T / d. The correct answer, according to the online physics homework, is \frac{F_{n}d}{D}
warfreak131

Homework Statement

The nut is now placed in a nutcracker with only one lever, as shown, (Intro 3 figure) and again friction keeps the nut from slipping. The top "jaw" (in black) is fixed to a stationary frame so that a person just has to apply a force to the bottom lever. Assume that [tex]F_2[/tex] is directed perpendicular to the handle.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma\tau=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if the sum of the torques includes [tex]F_{2}D[/tex] and/or [tex]F_{2}d[/tex]. I though that it was the sum of the torque of the smaller handle + the torque of the larger handle + the normal force. Since counter clockwise is positive, it would be [tex]\tau_{nut}-\tau_{small}-\tau_{large}=0[/tex] and solve for [tex]F_{2}[/tex], but that's not right.

Attachments

• MTS_st_2_c.jpg
    MTS_st_2_c.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 683
Physics news on Phys.org
warfreak131 said:

Homework Statement

The nut is now placed in a nutcracker with only one lever, as shown, (Intro 3 figure) and again friction keeps the nut from slipping. The top "jaw" (in black) is fixed to a stationary frame so that a person just has to apply a force to the bottom lever. Assume that [tex]F_2[/tex] is directed perpendicular to the handle.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma\tau=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if the sum of the torques includes [tex]F_{2}D[/tex] and/or [tex]F_{2}d[/tex]. I though that it was the sum of the torque of the smaller handle + the torque of the larger handle + the normal force. Since counter clockwise is positive, it would be [tex]\tau_{nut}-\tau_{small}-\tau_{large}=0[/tex] and solve for [tex]F_{2}[/tex], but that's not right.

What is the problem asking you to find?

CS

I think that the torques are two.The one from the force on the large part and the one from the nut.correct me please if i am wrong

the jaw is fixed so the torque at it does not count

The question asks to find [tex]F_{2}[/tex]. Since its the max torque just to begin to break the shell, the sum of all the torques would be 0. So wouldn't that mean that the normal force of the shell at distance [tex]d[/tex] equals the torque of the little lever plus the torque of the larger lever?

I believe that the torque due to the shell on the small lever should be equal to F2*D

if it is just to start break the F2*D>=Torque from the nut

warfreak131 said:
The question asks to find [tex]F_{2}[/tex]. Since its the max torque just to begin to break the shell, the sum of all the torques would be 0. So wouldn't that mean that the normal force of the shell at distance [tex]d[/tex] equals the torque of the little lever plus the torque of the larger lever?

Is this a continuation of another problem? If so, what else are you give (or did you find)?

The torque on the hinge would be equal to T = F_2 x D since it is the only force being applied. The perpendicular force acting on the nut would then be, F_nut = T / d since the torque at the hinge is the same.

CS

the correct answer according to our online physics homework is [tex]\frac{F_{n}d}{D}[/tex]

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. What are the units of torque?

The units of torque are typically expressed in newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

3. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to rotational motion because it is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. The greater the torque applied, the faster the object will rotate.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of torque?

The magnitude of torque is affected by the amount of force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied.

5. How is torque used in real-world applications?

Torque is used in many real-world applications, such as in engines, motors, and machines that involve rotational motion. It is also important in sports, such as in throwing or hitting a ball, and in various types of machinery and equipment used in industries like construction and transportation.