1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of Two Subspaces

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1
    This is an example that I am a little confused by:

[tex]U={(x,0,0)\in\mathbf{F}^3:x\in\mathbf{F}}\text{ and }W={(0,y,0)\in\mathbf{F}^3:y\in\mathbf{F}}[/tex]

Then
    [tex]U+W={(x,y,0):x,y\in\mathbf{F}[/tex]

Okay, I get that. Now it says that U is defined the same as above but now let
    [tex]W={(y,y,0)\in\mathbf{F}^3:y\in\mathbf{F}}[/tex]

Then the sum of U and W is the same as given above. Why is that? What is happening to that y that is in the "x" position?

Perhaps I am confusing the definition of the sum of two lists with the sum of two subspaces.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If (a,b,0) is any point there is an x and y that solve it in the first case and there is also an x and y that solve it in the second case. Isn't this so? x and y are ANYTHING, right? Who cares what happened to the y?

4. Jul 6, 2009 #3
    Sorry. I guess I am getting lost in all of these definitions.

I guess I don't really understand what it means to 'Add' two subspaces...

See I have it in my head that I should be getting something like (x+y,y,0) ...but I know that is not right.

It says in my book that the "sum of two subspaces is the set of all possible sums of the elements of the two subspaces."

I guess I really don't understand what that means.:confused:

5. Jul 7, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So if you have W in the first case:

U+W is the set of all vectors of the form u+w where u is in U and w in W. SO u+w = (x,0,0) + (0,y,0) = (x,y,0) where x and y are arbitrary.

For the second case, u=(x',0,0) for any x', and w = (y',y',0) for any y'. Then u+w = (x'+y',y',0). Now, we want to show that (x,y,0) is in U+W for arbitrary x and y. Given y, set y'=y and now we need that x'+y' =x i.e. x' = x-y. Hence we see we can find x' and y' such that u+w = (x,y,0) as required.

Basically, the point is that the set of all vectors of the form (x+y,y,0) is
    1) two dimensional
    2) contained in the set of all vectors of the form (x,y,0)

So they must be the same subspace

6. Jul 7, 2009 #5
    Office_Shredder: That is starting to sink in a little. Thanks for the explanation. I am finally at the end of this gruesome 1st chapter and can move onto the exercises. I think I will get a better understanding of these concepts by doing them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook