How Can I Solve This Unique Weight Balancing Problem Using Balanced Ternary?

• Thread starter ged25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the problem involves balancing a set of unique weights that are powers of 3 on a scale. The weights are given in a weight w and the task is to determine which weight goes on which pan to achieve a balanced scale. The solution involves using a balanced ternary system, where the digits {-1, 0, 1} correspond to {-1, 0, 1} on the scale. The weight on the left pan is calculated by adding the weight w to -1, while the weight on the right pan is calculated by adding the largest power of 3 less than w to 1.
ged25
I have this problem where I'm having trouble solving so any help would be appreciated.

Here's the problem:
You have a balancing scale and a set of unique weights. Each weight that you have is a power of 3 ie you have weights 1,3,9,27 etc. You are given a weight w.
The problem is to tell which weight goes on which pan so that the scale is balanced.

For example:
Suppose you are given weight with value 35.

Solution:
The left pan will have 35 + 1 = 36
The right pan will have 27 + 9 = 36

Another example with weight 52.
The left pan will have 52 + 27 + 3 = 82
The right pan will have 81 + 1 = 82

I hope the problem is clear.

I haven't gotten further than understanding that value on the pans must be 3x or 3x + 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ged25! Welcome to PF! :wink:
ged25 said:
I haven't gotten further than understanding that value on the pans must be 3x or 3x + 1.

yup, that's a bit obvious, and I'm afraid won't help you. :redface:

Hint: try it for the easiest cases, of weights of 1 up to 8, find a symbolic way of writing the answers, and see if you can find a pattern. :smile:

You know how to write numbers in base-3 (ternary), right?

There's a direct correspondence between writing numbers in *balanced* ternary and the solution to this problem. Ordinary ternary uses the digits {0, 1, 2}; balanced ternary uses {-1, 0, 1}.

1. What exactly is the "sum of unique powers of 3"?

The sum of unique powers of 3 refers to the sum of all the unique numbers that can be generated by raising 3 to a certain power. For example, if we consider powers of 3 up to 3^4, the unique numbers that can be generated are 3, 9, 27, and 81. The sum of these numbers would be 120.

2. How is the sum of unique powers of 3 calculated?

To calculate the sum of unique powers of 3, we need to determine the highest power of 3 that is less than or equal to the given number. Then, we add all the powers of 3 from 3^0 to the highest power. For example, if the given number is 19, the highest power of 3 is 3^2. So, the sum of unique powers of 3 would be 3^0 + 3^1 + 3^2, which is equal to 13.

3. What is the significance of the sum of unique powers of 3 in mathematics?

The sum of unique powers of 3 has several applications in mathematics, particularly in number theory and combinatorics. It has been used to solve problems related to binary strings, digital roots, and even in the study of prime numbers.

4. Can the sum of unique powers of 3 be negative?

No, the sum of unique powers of 3 will always be a positive integer. This is because 3 raised to any power will always be a positive number, and when we add a series of positive numbers, the result will also be positive.

5. How does the sum of unique powers of 3 differ from the sum of all powers of 3?

The sum of unique powers of 3 only includes the unique numbers that can be generated by raising 3 to a certain power, while the sum of all powers of 3 includes all the numbers generated by raising 3 to any power. For example, the sum of all powers of 3 up to 3^3 would be 40, while the sum of unique powers of 3 up to 3^3 would be 39 (excluding 3^0, which is not unique).