Proving the Sum of a Series Question | Convergence and Terms with Same Sign

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, b_k=a_{n_k+1}+...+a_{n_{k+1}} and c_k=b_1+...+b_k converge. S_n=a_1+...+a_n and n belongs to {n_k+1,...,n_(k+1)} so that |S_n-c_n|=|a_(n_(k)+1)+...+a_n|. However, the user is not sure if they posted the problem correctly, as b_k and c_k do not seem to sum to the correct value.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
sum question...

i have b_k=a_(n_(k)+1)+...+a_(n_(k+1))

c_k=b_1+...+b_k
let us suppose that for every term in b_k has the same sign and that the sum b_k (from n=1 to infinity) converges.
S_n=a_1+...+a_n
and n belongs to {n_k+1,...,n_(k+1)}

then i need to show that
|S_n-c_n|=|a_(n_(k)+1)+...+a_n|

i tried just opened it, and it looked disastrous ( if that's even a word in the anglo-american lexicon).
anyway, your help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean [tex]b_k=a_{n_{k}+1}+\cdots +a_{n_{k+1}}[/tex] ?

And, if so, I don't "get it".

loop quantum gravity said:
i have b_k=a_(n_(k)+1)+...+a_(n_(k+1))

c_k=b_1+...+b_k
let us suppose that for every term in b_k has the same sign and that the sum b_k (from n=1 to infinity) converges.
S_n=a_1+...+a_n
and n belongs to {n_k+1,...,n_(k+1)}

then i need to show that
|S_n-c_n|=|a_(n_(k)+1)+...+a_n|

i tried just opened it, and it looked disastrous ( if that's even a word in the anglo-american lexicon).
anyway, your help is appreciated.
It's like your 700-th post here, and I guess it does not hurt much if you try to learn how to LaTeX properly, right?
I don't really get what you mean, either... :frown:

benorin said:
Do you mean [tex]b_k=a_{n_{k}+1}+\cdots +a_{n_{k+1}}[/tex] ?

And, if so, I don't "get it".
yes, your latex is correct.
and to the other user, now it's 701, but who counts it anyway? (-:

funny thing is you are already using latex lol just put the [ tex] [ /tex] on either end and change ( ) for { } and it's pretty much the same thing

now after we cleared it off, can somone please help me on this?

Well, I don't think I understand the problem fully, but you can try to open everything:
[tex]b_k = a_{n_k + 1} + ... + a_{n_{k + 1}}[/tex]
So:
[tex]c_k = \sum_{i = 1} ^ k b_i = a_{n_1 + 1} + a_{n_1 + 2} + ... + a_{n_2} + a_{n_2 + 1} + ... + a_{n_3} + ... + a_{n_{k + 1}}[/tex]
[tex]S_n = \sum_{i = 1} ^ n a_i[/tex]
So that means:
[tex]S_n - c_n = ...[/tex]
EDIT: But are you sure you posted this problem correctly? I don't think it's correct... :frown:

Last edited:

What is the definition of a series?

A series is a mathematical expression consisting of the sum of terms in a specific order. It can be finite or infinite.

What is the sum of a series?

The sum of a series is the final result when all of its terms are added together. This value can be finite or infinite, depending on the series.

What is the convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series refers to whether or not the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. A series is said to converge if the sum approaches a finite value, and diverges if the sum does not approach a finite value.

How do you prove the convergence of a series?

To prove the convergence of a series, you can use various mathematical techniques such as the ratio test, the comparison test, or the integral test. These tests help determine if the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

What is the significance of terms with the same sign in a series?

Terms with the same sign in a series are important because they determine the behavior of the series. If all terms have the same sign, the series can be easier to analyze and determine its convergence or divergence. However, if the terms have alternating signs, the series can be more complex and require different techniques to prove convergence or divergence.