Solving the Series: \sum\frac{6}{4n^2+1}

• Thread starter WarDieS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses a series that the individual had trouble solving. They attempted various methods but ultimately used the method of complex residues to solve it. The conversation also includes a reference for this method and further discussion about it.
WarDieS

Homework Statement

Hi, i had to solve a some series and i had no problem except for this one

[tex]\sum\frac{6}{4n^2+1}[/tex] from 1 to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

i've tried to do it by simple fractions didn't work, it's no geometric,hipergeometric, telescopic.

All exercices had "nice" solutions meaning they were round numbers or fractions, so i solved this one with mathematica and gave me an "ugly" solution which is
[tex]\frac{3}{2}\left(-2 + \pi coth (\frac{\pi}{2})\right)[/tex]

So i though maybe is a typo and its actually [tex]\sum\frac{6}{4n^2-1}[/tex] from 1 to infinity, so i did this one by simple fractions and gave me 3, but i still want to learn how to solve the original, i want to know how can be the coth function in the solution!

Thx for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
This series can be summed using the method of complex residues.

Basically if you have a function f(z) that satisfies some weak criteria and an associated series as a function of n in the integers, you get:

[tex] \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} f(n) = -\pi \sum res \left[\cot (\pi z) f(z) \right] [/tex]
at the poles of f(z).

hgfalling said:
This series can be summed using the method of complex residues.

Basically if you have a function f(z) that satisfies some weak criteria and an associated series as a function of n in the integers, you get:

[tex] \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} f(n) = -\pi \sum res \left[\cot (\pi z) f(z) \right] [/tex]
at the poles of f(z).

Wow, that looks interesting! Do you have a reference for that?

Thanks, then its a typo for sure because we didnt took that method in calculus I.

Thanks again

micromass said:
Wow, that looks interesting! Do you have a reference for that?

http://scipp.ucsc.edu/~haber/archives/physics116A06/Sixways.pdf p.12-15 outlines the method.

The quick version:
Basically you draw a square with vertices [itex] \pm (N + 1/2) \pm i(N + 1/2) [/itex]. Then you show that the integral of [itex]f(z)cot(\pi z)[/itex] around the square goes to zero as N-> inf. So then you get that [itex]f(z)cot(\pi z)[/itex] has poles at all the integers and at the poles of f(z). At the integers, the residue is [itex]1/ \pi [/itex]. So you get that the integral is equal to [itex]1/ \pi \sum_{k=-N}^N f(n) [/itex] + the residues of [itex]f(z)cot(\pi z)[/itex] at the poles of f(z). Since the integral is zero, those two things must be equal, and the first one is the sum of the series as N->inf.

Wow, that's an extremely interesting paper. Thanks a lot!

1. What is the purpose of solving the series \sum\frac{6}{4n^2+1}?

The purpose of solving this series is to find the sum of infinitely many terms, which can help us understand the overall behavior and pattern of the series. This can also be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. How do you start solving the series \sum\frac{6}{4n^2+1}?

To start solving this series, we can first simplify the expression by factoring out the constant term of 6. Then, we can use various mathematical techniques such as partial fractions, geometric series, or telescoping series to find the sum of the series.

3. What is the formula for finding the sum of \sum\frac{6}{4n^2+1}?

The formula for finding the sum of this series is \frac{a}{1-r}, where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. In this case, the first term is \frac{6}{1^2+1} = 3 and the common ratio is \frac{1}{4}. Therefore, the sum of the series is \frac{3}{1-\frac{1}{4}} = \frac{4}{3}.

4. Is there a way to verify the solution of \sum\frac{6}{4n^2+1}?

Yes, there are various ways to verify the solution of this series. One way is to use a mathematical software or calculator to calculate the sum and compare it to our solution. Another way is to use the concept of mathematical induction to prove that our solution is correct.

5. Can the series \sum\frac{6}{4n^2+1} be used in real-life applications?

Yes, this series can be used in various real-life applications such as in engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of electric circuits, analyze the stability of structures, or estimate the growth rate of populations.