How can ln be used to solve a sum to infinity problem?

In summary, the child tried to solve an equation for the nth term of a series, but they were unable to get the equation to work when x=-1/2. They tried to solve the equation for the nth term of a series, but they were unable to get the equation to work when x=-1/2. They plugged in a function to get a series that looked a lot like the one on the left, but they were not able to use the function when x=-1/2. They plugged in a function to get a series that looked a lot like the one on the left, but they were not able to use the function when x=-
lionely

Homework Statement

Prove the following result:

[tex] \frac{1}{2.2} + \frac{ 1}{3.2^2} + \frac{1}{4.2^3} ... = 2ln2 -1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing down the nth term of the series which is 1/(n+1)2^n

But don't know where to move after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The series you wrote down has as its first denominator 2.2, but the general term that you wrote down would imply the first denominator is 4. Can you confirm that those decimal points are in fact supposed to be multiplications?

You can tex multiplication with \times, or by just wrapping the thing to be squared in parentheses and putting no multiplication sign at all (which is probably the best way to do things).

Have you covered Taylor series in your class? Problems like this almost always come down to knowing the Taylor series of an appropriate function.

The dot means multiply and , I've done Maclaurin's series.

I basically know I need to try and split up the nth term into separate series and sum each one and then they'll maybe start looking similar to other series, but splitting them up is the problem.

lionely said:
I basically know I need to try and split up the nth term into separate series and sum each one and then they'll maybe start looking similar to other series, but splitting them up is the problem.

Don't worry about splitting things up. There are two ways that you can approach this problem. One is that you can look at the series on the left and say 'gee that looks a lot like a McLaurin series of a function that I know the value of', and the other is to look at the right side and say 'if I want to express this as an infinite series I should take a certain function here and write it out as a McLaurin series'. Either way is valid and will work on this problem. So the first question is which function/McLaurin series is being highlighted in the equation that you are given?

I would say the McLaurin series of ln(1+x)? and x =1 ?

That sounds like a pretty good idea. What happens when you follow through on the algebra?

well ln(1+1) would = 1 - (1^2)/2 +(1^3)/3 ...

Oops I was wrong in my last post. As you can see ln(1+1) doesn't give you what you want. You are going to want to use the Taylor series of ln(1+x) evaluated at some point x, just not x=1

But my teacher didn't really teach me about that, so I don't think I should use it here. Is there no way to do this using Mclaurin series?

No, I mean you want the McLaurin series of ln(1+x), but the value of x you should plug in is not x=1.

What can you plug into get a series that looks a lot like the one on the left? It might not be immediately obvious that you are also getting the thing on the right, but a nice property of logarithms will save the day.

since it says 2ln2 which is ln4 should i try x=3 ? But isn't this expansion only valid for -1<x</ 1?

Do it with ln (1/2) = ln(1+(-1/2)), that is, with x=-1/2.

ehild

1. What is the "sum to infinity problem"?

The "sum to infinity problem" is a mathematical concept that deals with the infinite sum of a series of numbers. It is also known as the "infinite series problem" or the "infinite sum problem".

2. How do you solve the "sum to infinity problem"?

The "sum to infinity problem" can be solved using various mathematical techniques such as geometric series, telescoping series, and the integral test. Each method has its own set of conditions and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific series being evaluated.

3. What are some real-world applications of the "sum to infinity problem"?

The "sum to infinity problem" has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it is used to calculate the total distance traveled by a moving object with varying speeds, or to determine the value of an investment that earns compound interest over time.

4. Can the "sum to infinity problem" have a finite sum?

Yes, the "sum to infinity problem" can have a finite sum under certain conditions. For instance, if the series follows a specific pattern and the terms are decreasing in magnitude, the sum can be calculated and will be a finite value. However, if the terms of the series do not follow a pattern or are increasing in magnitude, the sum will be infinite.

5. Are there any open problems or unsolved questions related to the "sum to infinity problem"?

Yes, there are still many open problems and unsolved questions related to the "sum to infinity problem". Some of these include the convergence of certain series, the behavior of series with alternating signs, and the convergence of series with complex terms. These problems continue to be an active area of research in mathematics.