What is the solution to the infinite series involving factorials and pi?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum to infinity of a series involving factorials and powers of pi. One individual attempts to use the Maclaurin expansion of cos x but struggles to match the terms in the given series. Another individual suggests multiplying the series by (pi/4)^2 and simplifying, resulting in a final solution of (4/pi)^2(1-cos(pi/4)).
lionely

Homework Statement

Sum to infinity

[tex] \frac{1}{2!} - \frac{ \pi ^2}{4^2.4!} + \frac{\pi^4}{4^4.6!} ... [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the series was similar to the Maclaurin expansion of cos x

so I tried putting in x= ∏/4

But I end up with the series [tex] {1} - \frac{ \pi ^2}{4^2.2!} + \frac{\pi^4}{4^4.4!} ...[/tex]

I don't know how to change the factorials to make it match the ones in the series given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try matching up the terms of the two series based on the factorials, not on the powers of pi. What do you notice?

Well the factorials increase by 2. so it's like (2n)!?

You may want to look a bit closer at how you factored 1/2! out.

4! = 2! *3*4 <> 2*2!

I know 4! is not equal to 2 x 2!. I didn't factor out anything all I did was put in x = pi/4 in the Maclaurin expansion of CosX

lionely said:

Homework Statement

Sum to infinity

[tex] \frac{1}{2!} - \frac{ \pi ^2}{4^2.4!} + \frac{\pi^4}{4^4.6!} ... [/tex]

You can write this as [itex]F(\pi/4)[/itex], where
[tex]
F(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+2)!}x^{2n}
[/tex]
so that
[tex]
x^2F(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+2)!}x^{2n+2}
= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(2(n+1))!}x^{2(n+1)}
[/tex]

Multiply the whole series by (π/4)2 and see what you get!

lionely said:
Well the factorials increase by 2. so it's like (2n)!?
Yes. Compare the term with (2n)! in the first series with the term with (2n)! in the second series, same n.

[tex]s= \frac{1}{2!} - \frac{ \pi ^2}{4^2.4!} + \frac{\pi^4}{4^4.6!} ... [/tex]

[tex](\frac{π}{4})^2s= \frac{(\frac{π}{4})^2}{2!}-\frac{(\frac{π}{4})^4}{4!}+\frac{(\frac{π}{4})^6}{6!} ... =1-\cos{\frac{π}{4}}[/tex]

[tex]s=(\frac{4}{π})^2(1-\cos{\frac{π}{4}})=(\frac{4}{π})^2(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})[/tex]

Wow Chestermiller, I feel kind of stupid now. Thank you... I was thinking that it looked like cosx but the factorials weren't adding up, I should of tried to get the powers up so it could match. Thank you again guys.

What is a "sum to infinity" question?

A "sum to infinity" question is a type of mathematical problem that asks for the value of an infinite series, where the terms of the series continue indefinitely. It is also known as an "infinite sum" or "infinite series" question.

How do you solve a "sum to infinity" question?

To solve a "sum to infinity" question, you can use a variety of techniques such as geometric series, Taylor series, or telescoping series. It is important to identify the type of series and use the appropriate formula or method to find the sum.

What are some common examples of "sum to infinity" questions?

Some common examples of "sum to infinity" questions include finding the sum of a geometric series, finding the sum of a harmonic series, or finding the sum of a power series. These types of questions are often found in calculus, algebra, and other advanced math courses.

Why are "sum to infinity" questions important?

"Sum to infinity" questions are important because they help us understand the concept of infinity and how to deal with infinite quantities in mathematics. They also have real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some tips for solving "sum to infinity" questions?

Some tips for solving "sum to infinity" questions include identifying the type of series, using the appropriate formula or method, and checking for convergence or divergence. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of series and their solutions.