Solving f(x) and Questions on Solution

• Thread starter sonya
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the inverse of a given function and the confusion between the multiplicative inverse and the inverse function. The solution to the problem is provided and the concept of inverse functions and identities is explained.
sonya
sum1 here help!

ok...since no1s helpin in the hmwk section thot id take a shot here..

if f(x)= (2e^x -8)/(10e^x + 9)
then wat is f^(-1)(x)?

i first took the ln of both sides...

getting lny = ln (2e^x - 8)/(10e^x + 9)

then using one of the properties i get

lny = ln (2e^x - 8) - ln (10e^x + 9)

and from here i get stuck...how do i solve for x?? am i doing it a totally wrong way?? please help!

and i did get a sol'n from sum1 but i had a question abt it...some1 b kind enuf 2 help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
f^-1 = 1/f

1/((2e^x -8)/(10e^x + 9)) = (10e^x + 9)/(2e^x -8)

then you can work to write this function simpler.

f-1 is the inverse of f, where f is a function.

f-1 does not equal 1/f

if x^-1 = 1/x
it would mean the same for a function, so

f^-1 would be the same as 1/f

Originally posted by Astrophysics
if x^-1 = 1/x
it would mean the same for a function, so

f^-1 would be the same as 1/f
Sorry, you're wrong Astrophysics. If f is a function then f^-1 is the inverse of the function so that f^-1(f(x)) = x.

Last edited by a moderator:

Originally posted by sonya
ok...since no1s helpin in the hmwk section thot id take a shot here..

if f(x)= (2e^x -8)/(10e^x + 9)
then wat is f^(-1)(x)?

i first took the ln of both sides...

getting lny = ln (2e^x - 8)/(10e^x + 9)

then using one of the properties i get

lny = ln (2e^x - 8) - ln (10e^x + 9)

and from here i get stuck...how do i solve for x?? am i doing it a totally wrong way?? please help!

and i did get a sol'n from sum1 but i had a question abt it...some1 b kind enuf 2 help!

You just need some algebraic manipulation first

f = (2e^x -8)/(10e^x + 9)
so, 10e^x * f + 9f = 2e^x -8
so, 10e^x * f - 2e^x = -8 - 9f
so, e^x ( 10f - 2 ) = -( 8 + 9f )
so, e^x = -( 8 + 9f ) / ( 10f - 2 )
so, x = ln[ ( 8 + 9f ) / ( 2 - 10f ) ]
so, x = ln( 8 + 9f ) - ln( 2 - 10f )

therefore f^-1(x) = ln( 8 + 9x ) - ln( 2 - 10x )

Originally posted by MathNerd
Sorry, you're wrong Astrophysics. If f is a function then f^-1 is the inverse of the function so that f^-1(f(x)) = x.

oh thanks mathnerd, but...how come when I put this in my calculator I get f^-1 = 1/f and f^-1(f(x)) is not x?

Originally posted by Astrophysics
oh thanks mathnerd, but...how come when I put this in my calculator I get f^-1 = 1/f and f^-1(f(x)) is not x?

Because your calculator thinks you're talking about the multiplicative inverse. It doesn't realize that you really want the inverse of the function. In mathematical notation f^-1(f(x)) = f(f^-1(x)) = x e.g. cos^-1 x does not equal 1 / cos x, it is instead inverse cos which is the inverse function of the cosine function. In my last post where I solved for f^-1(x), you can easily show that f(f^-1(x)) = f^-1(f(x)) = x

I'm very confused here, I was actually thinking the same thing as my calculator I guess, but I have no idea what these inverse means, is it f^-1 or is it something like f' ?

Originally posted by MathNerd
Because your calculator thinks you're talking about the multiplicative inverse. It doesn't realize that you really want the inverse of the function. In mathematical notation f^-1(f(x)) = f(f^-1(x)) = x e.g. cos^-1 x does not equal 1 / cos x, it is instead inverse cos which is the inverse function of the cosine function. In my last post where I solved for f^-1(x), you can easily show that f(f^-1(x)) = f^-1(f(x)) = x
or you could say cos^-1 x=arccos x

Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
or you could say cos^-1 x=arccos x
Yes, well ArcCos is nothing but the inverse of the cosine function, whereas 1/cos(x) = sec(x), it is easily shown that sec(x) doesn't equal ArcCos(x). By definition the inverse of an arbitary function f(x) is another function g(x) such that g(f(x)) = f(g(x)) = x. In mathematical notation g(x) = f^-1(x)

Last edited by a moderator:
inverses and identities.

unification.

multiplication.
1 is the "multiplicative identity." let x be a nonzero real number.

x * x^-1 = x^-1 * x = 1. in effect, the thing and its inverse cancel, leaving the identity.

functions.
let * stand for the composition of functions. so rather than write
f(g(x)), write f * g (x).

f * f^-1 = f^-1 * f = I. by, "I", i mean the "identity function,"
I(x) = x.

except for zero, all numbers have a mulitplicative inverse. not so for functions. for example, the function f(x) = x^2 has no inverse defined on the set of real numbers. however, if restriced to nonnegative numbers, f does have an inverse, namely the square root of x. that is precisely what will "cancel" or "oppose" the operation of squaring.

cheers,
phoenix

1. What is the purpose of solving f(x)?

The purpose of solving f(x) is to find the value of the dependent variable, f(x), for a given value of the independent variable, x. This helps us understand the relationship between the two variables and make predictions or calculations based on this relationship.

2. What is the difference between finding a solution and solving f(x)?

Finding a solution refers to finding a specific value that satisfies a given equation. Solving f(x) involves finding the value of the dependent variable for a given value of the independent variable.

3. How do I solve f(x) if the equation is not in standard form?

If the equation is not in standard form, you can use algebraic manipulation to rewrite it into a form where f(x) is isolated on one side of the equation. Then, you can use standard techniques such as substitution or elimination to solve for the value of f(x).

4. Can there be more than one solution for f(x)?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions for f(x). This can happen when the equation has multiple possible values for the dependent variable that satisfy the given conditions or when the equation is a function with multiple inputs that produce the same output.

5. How do I check if my solution for f(x) is correct?

To check if your solution for f(x) is correct, plug in the value you found for the independent variable into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is correct. If it does not, then you may have made a mistake in your calculations or the equation may not have a solution for that specific value of the independent variable.