How Can We Prove the Summation Inequality for a Given Sequence?

In summary, we are given that $x_1,\,x_2,\,\cdots,\,x_n \ge -1$ and $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^3=0$. We are required to prove that $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \le \dfrac{n}{3}$. Using mathematical induction, we can show that this statement holds for any positive integer $n$. Therefore, $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \le \dfrac{n}{3}$ is a valid statement.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Assume that $x_1,\,x_2,\,\cdots,\,x_n \ge -1$ and $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^3=0$. Prove that $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \le \dfrac{n}{3}$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. I would like to provide a proof for the statement you have proposed.

We are given that $x_1,\,x_2,\,\cdots,\,x_n \ge -1$ and $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^3=0$. Our goal is to prove that $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \le \dfrac{n}{3}$.

First, let us consider the case when $n=1$. In this case, we have $x_1^3=0$, which implies that $x_1=0$. Therefore, $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n x_i = x_1 = 0 \le \dfrac{1}{3} = \dfrac{n}{3}$.

Now, let us assume that the statement holds for $n=k$ and prove it for $n=k+1$. This means that for $n=k$, we have $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^k x_i \le \dfrac{k}{3}$. Adding $x_{k+1}$ to both sides, we get $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k+1} x_i \le \dfrac{k}{3} + x_{k+1}$. Since $x_{k+1} \ge -1$, we can write $\dfrac{k}{3} + x_{k+1} \le \dfrac{k}{3} + \dfrac{1}{3} = \dfrac{k+1}{3} = \dfrac{n}{3}$. Therefore, for $n=k+1$, we also have $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k+1} x_i \le \dfrac{n}{3}$.

By the principle of mathematical induction, we can conclude that for any positive integer $n$, $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \le \dfrac{n}{3}$.

I hope this proof helps to clarify the statement and its validity. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is summation and inequality?

Summation is a mathematical operation that involves adding a sequence of numbers together. Inequality refers to a mathematical statement that compares two quantities, indicating which is larger or smaller.

2. How is summation used in mathematics?

Summation is used to find the total value of a sequence of numbers. It is commonly used in calculus, statistics, and other branches of mathematics to represent the total of a continuously changing quantity.

3. What is the symbol used for summation?

The symbol used for summation is the uppercase Greek letter sigma (∑). It is typically written above the sequence of numbers to be added together.

4. What is an inequality statement?

An inequality statement is a mathematical expression that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It represents a relationship between the values of the two quantities, indicating which is greater or less than the other.

5. How are summation and inequality related?

Summation and inequality are related in that summation can be used to represent the total value of a sequence of numbers, while inequality can be used to compare the values of two quantities. Inequality statements can also be used to represent the upper and lower bounds of a summation.