1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation equation help

1. Feb 14, 2006 #1
    I am to show that...

[tex]\sum_{n=-N}^{+N} cos(\alpha -nx)=cos\alpha \frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=-N}^{+N} cos(\alpha)cos(nx)+\sum_{n=-N}^+Nsin(\alpha)\frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=-N}^{+N}sin(\alpha)\frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)} =0[/tex]

[tex]cos(\alpha) 2 \sum_{n=0}^{+N} cos(nx)[/tex]

I know of a rule that shows...

[tex]\frac{1}{2}+cos(x)+cos(2n)+...cos(nx)=\frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{2sin(x/2)}[/tex]

but I dont see how to apply it to get my answer, since my summation is similar to equation (9) on this site: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cosine.html

any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you've messed up in stating your problem -- it doesn't really make sense.

Anyways, you know trig identities, right? You could try applying some of them.

Or, you could always grind through an inductive proof.

4. Feb 15, 2006 #3
    oh wow, i totally messed up there...

[tex]\sum_{n=-N}^{+N} cos(\alpha -nx)=cos\alpha \frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]

[tex]cos(\alpha -nx) =cos(x)cos(nx)+sin(\alpha)sin(nx)[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=-N}^{+N} cos(\alpha)cos(nx)+\sum_{n=-N}^{+N} sin(\alpha)sin(nx)[/tex]

[tex]sin(\alpha) \sum_{n=-N}^{+N} sin(nx)=0[/tex] since it is an odd function

so I am left with...
    [tex]cos(\alpha) 2 \sum_{n=0}^{+N} cos(nx)=cos\alpha \frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]
    [tex]2 \sum_{n=0}^{+N} cos(nx)=\frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]

there is a rule that shows:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}+cos(x)+cos(2n)+...cos(nx)=\frac{sin(N+ 0.5)x}{2sin(x/2)}[/tex]

I am stuck on this part and I dont know where to go from here.

5. Feb 15, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you write that rule in summation notation?

6. Feb 15, 2006 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

This is wrong, counter-example: N = 0, the LHS is 2, whereas the RHS is 1, and it's true that: [tex]2 \neq 1[/tex], right?
    You are wrong when assuming that:
    [tex]\cos \alpha \sum_{n = -N} ^ {+N} (\cos (nx)) = 2 \cos \alpha \sum_{n = 0} ^ {+N} (\cos (nx))[/tex]
    In fact, it should read:
    [tex]\cos \alpha \sum_{n = -N} ^ {+N} (\cos (nx)) = 2 \cos \alpha \sum_{n = 1} ^ {+N} (\cos (nx)) + \cos \alpha \cos (0n) = 2 \cos \alpha \sum_{n = 1} ^ {+N} (\cos (nx)) + \cos \alpha[/tex]
    [tex]= \cos \alpha \left( 1 + 2 \left( \sum_{n = 1} ^ {+N} \cos (nx) \right) \right)[/tex].
    Now you can go from here, right? Hint: follow Hurkyl's suggestion. :)

7. Feb 15, 2006 #6
    [tex]\frac{sin(N+ 0.5)x}{2sin(x/2)}=-\frac{1}{2}+\sum_{n = 1} ^ {+N} \cos (nx) [/tex]

so now everything fits into place!

Just out of curiosity, how would someone derive: [tex]\frac{1}{2}+cos(x)+cos(2n)+...cos(nx)=\frac{sin(N+ 0.5)x}{2sin(x/2)}[/tex]?

8. Feb 15, 2006 #7

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use [tex]\cos(z)=\frac{e^{iz}+e^{-iz}}{2}[/tex] to turn it into a geometric sum.

9. Feb 15, 2006 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Induction works too.

10. Feb 15, 2006 #9
    would the answer include the imaginary part?

i've found an example in mathworld but it isnt the sum from 1 to infinity, but from 0 to infinity: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cosine.html

how is it possible that their cosine on the numerator is cancelled out to form [tex]\frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex] when the summation is changed from (0 to inifinity is what they have) to 1 to infinity?

11. Feb 15, 2006 #10

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There won't be an imaginary part.

The sum on mathworld, (9)-(13) I guess you mean, is a little different from yours (note it doesn't go to infinity). You both have a term for n=0, but yours is half theirs and your argments for the sin in the numerator are different.

Their method of derivation is essentially what I suggested (though they should have said something about the x=integer multiple of 2*pi case). You might want to work with yours in the form [tex]\sum_{n = -N} ^ {+N} \cos (nx)[/tex] though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?