Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation help

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    Hey everyone,
    I need some help trying to figure out how to find the summation of

n
    [tex]\sum_{}^{\6}i^p[/tex]
    i=0

I was looking on the web and found on Wikipedia this formula off the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summation" [Broken] page. It looks like this assuming I copied it right (ignore the periods)

.n............................p
    [tex]\sum_{}^{\6}i^p = \frac{(n+1)^{p+1}}{p+1} + \sum_{}^{\5} \frac {B_k}{p-k+1} \left(\begin{array}{cc}p\\k\end{array}\right)(n+1)^{p-k+1}[/tex]
    i=0..........................k=1

I know how to do the math and know what almost all the variables mean. The only one that gets in my way of using this formula is [tex]B_k[/tex]. Now [tex]B_k[/tex], as wikipedia says stands for kth Bernoulli number. I've tried looking at Google and Wikipedia to find out what the Bernoulli number is but I can't seem to find out what it really is. Can someone explain to me what the Bernoulli number is and how to calculate or find it? I don't know how to.

Many Thanks:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook