How do we convert a summation to integration?

In summary, when converting a summation of the form ∑xiyi to integration, the expressions ∫xdy and ∫ydx are not equivalent. Summation is used to find the area under the curve while integration is a faster method for the same purpose. The formulas for center of mass for discrete particles and continuous distribution involve the use of Δ in their derivation, making it implicit in the summation and integration.
MacNCheese
When converting a summation of the form

[tex] \sum x_i y_i [/tex]

to integration, how do we know if it's

[tex] \int x dy[/tex]

or

[tex]\int y dx[/tex]

At first I thought they're equivalent but obviously that's only true for a linear function with no constant offset.

I kind of see integration as a better form of multiplication so I've always had trouble with the fact that multiplication is commutative but integration isn't. A little help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your description of the summation as an analog of integration is not quite accurate.
∑xiΔyi -> ∫xdy
∑yiΔxi -> ∫ydx

Summation is used to find the area under the curve. Integration is same thing, but much faster.

Well if you look at something like center of mass, it's mentioned as (in wikipedia)

[tex]\frac {\sum m_i r_i} {\sum m_i} [/tex]

for discrete particles and

[tex] \frac {1} {M} \int r dm [/tex]

for continuous distribution. There's no 'delta' anywhere.

Yes, those are two completely different formulas. The first is NOT the Riemann sum leading to the second.

MacNCheese said:
Well if you look at something like center of mass, it's mentioned as (in wikipedia)

[tex]\frac {\sum m_i r_i} {\sum m_i} [/tex]

for discrete particles and

[tex] \frac {1} {M} \int r dm [/tex]

for continuous distribution. There's no 'delta' anywhere.
Although the symbol Δ doesn't appear, it is implicit in the meaning of mi which is a small piece of the mass, which sums to M.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, those are two completely different formulas. The first is NOT the Riemann sum leading to the second.

Isn't it? Then how do we derive such an expression?

mathman said:
Although the symbol Δ doesn't appear, it is implicit in the meaning of mi which is a small piece of the mass, which sums to M.

Thanks, that helps.

1. What is the difference between summation and integration?

Summation and integration are both mathematical methods used to find the total value of a series of numbers. However, summation is used to find the total of a discrete set of numbers, while integration is used to find the total of a continuous set of numbers.

2. How is summation related to integration?

Summation and integration are related because integration can be thought of as a continuous version of summation. In other words, integration is essentially taking the limit of a summation as the number of intervals approaches infinity.

3. What is the purpose of using summation and integration in science?

Summation and integration are used in science to calculate the total value of a variable over a range of values. This is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, where continuous data is often analyzed.

4. What is the difference between Riemann sums and integration?

Riemann sums are a type of summation that is used to approximate the area under a curve, while integration is a method used to find the exact area under a curve. Riemann sums use rectangles to approximate the area, while integration uses calculus to find the exact area.

5. How is integration used in real-world applications?

Integration has many real-world applications, such as in physics to calculate the work done by a force, in economics to calculate the area under a demand or supply curve, and in engineering to find the center of mass of an object. It is also used in many other fields, such as statistics, finance, and computer science.