How can I write a Fibonacci sequence using summation notation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of summation notation and the definition of Fibonacci sequence. The question is how to write the expression \sum_{i=0}^{k}\binom{k}{i}f_{n+i} as a sequence using the definition of Fibonacci sequence. The solution is given as \sum_{i=0}^k \begin{pmatrix}k\\ i \end{pmatrix}f_{n+i}= f_n+ kf_{n+1}+ (k(k-1)/2)f_{n+2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot, with an example for k=3.
dba

Homework Statement

I have trouble with the summation notation.

[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{k}\binom{k}{i}f_{n+i}[/itex]

How do I write this as a sequence based on the definition of Fibonacci sequence?

Homework Equations

Definition:
f(0)=0
f(1)=1
f(n)=f(n-1) + f(n-2) for n>=2

Example:
f(2) = f(1) + f(0) = 1+0 = 1
f(3) = f(2) + f(1) = 1+1 = 2
f(4) = f(3) + f(2) = 2+1 = 3
f(5) = f(4) + f(3) = 3+2 = 5
and so on

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to write:

[itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}(i) = 1+2+3+...+n [/itex]

but I do not understand how to write the following Fibonacci sequence:

[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{k}\binom{k}{i}f_{n+i}[/itex]

Can someone show me how to write this as an expanded version or give me an example how to do this?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\begin{pmatrix}n \\ i\end{pmatrix}[/itex] is the "binomial coefficient"
[tex]\frac{n!}{i! (n-i)!}[/tex]
[itex]\sum_{i=0}^k \begin{pmatrix}k\\ i \end{pmatrix}f_{n+i}= f_n+ kf_{n+1}+ (k(k-1)/2)f_{n+2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]

So, for example, with k= 3
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^3\begin{pmatrix}3 \\ i\end{pmatrix}f_{n+i}= f_n+ 3f_{n+1}+ 3f_{n+2}+ f_{n+3}[/tex]

Thank you very much.
I understand this now :smile:

1. What is summation notation Fibonacci?

Summation notation Fibonacci is a mathematical notation that represents the sum of a sequence of terms in the Fibonacci sequence. It is denoted by the symbol Σ and can be used to quickly calculate the sum of a large number of Fibonacci numbers.

2. How is summation notation used to calculate Fibonacci numbers?

Summation notation can be used to calculate Fibonacci numbers by representing the sequence as a summation of terms. For example, the Fibonacci sequence can be written as Σ(Fn) = Fn+2 - 1. This allows for a quicker and more efficient way to calculate the sum of a large number of Fibonacci numbers.

3. What are the limits of summation in summation notation Fibonacci?

The limits of summation in summation notation Fibonacci represent the starting and ending points of the sequence. For example, if the limits are from 1 to 5, the summation would include the terms F1, F2, F3, F4, and F5.

4. How is the ending point determined in summation notation Fibonacci?

The ending point in summation notation Fibonacci is determined by the index of the final term in the sequence. For example, if the ending point is 5, the final term in the sequence would be F5.

5. Can summation notation be used for other sequences besides Fibonacci?

Yes, summation notation can be used for any sequence of numbers. It is commonly used in mathematics to represent the sum of terms in a sequence, making it a versatile tool for various applications.