1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation of i Squared

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm not very proficient with LAtex, so I'll try to translate this mess the best I can. It's a summation
    [itex]\sum[/itex] i2 (on the bottom, there would be an "i = 1") (on the top, there would be an "n") this summation equals [itex]\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/itex]

In the summation, basically, "i" starts off at one and goes to "n"

Why does this summation equal [itex]\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/itex]?

2. Relevant equations
    The definition of a definite integral? I found this summation through doing definite integrals using Riemann sums. I found the answer to the summation online, but I wanted to know how one arrives at the answer.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far, I have done this:

S = 12 + 22 + 32 + ... + (n - 1)2 + n2
    S = n2 + (n - 1)2 + (n - 2)2 + ... + 22 + 12

I just wrote out a part of the summation, and under it, I did the same summation part but in reverse.

Then...I added the two summations to get

2S = n2 + 1 + (n - 1)2 + 4 + (n - 2)2 + 9 + ... + (n - 1)2 + 4 + n2 + 1

I saw somewhat of a pattern, but it was hard to explain and I had to stop here. If someone could give me a link to an explanation, or if someone could fit an explanation in a response or two as to why this summation equals [itex]\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/itex], that would be fantastic. Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook