Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation of infinite series

1. Feb 3, 2008 #1
    I'm having trouble picking apart this summation:

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{inf}_{n=1}[/tex] P(E)*P(1-p)[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]; where p = P(E) + P(F)

I know I need to use the identity of a geometrical series when |r| < 1 : 1/(1-r)

I'm getting [tex]P(E)/(1-(P(E)+P(F))[/tex]

But I need to be getting P(E)/((P(E)+P(F));

The entire problem is

Let E & F be mutually exclusive events in the sample space of an experiment. Suppose that the exp is repeated until either event E or F occurs. What does the sample space of hte new super experiment look like? Show that the probability of event E before event F is P(E)/(P(E)+P(F)).
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a bit confusing. If p= P(E)- P(F), then what is just P by itself? Asuming your terms are just A(1-p)n-1, then I would be inclined to first change the summation index: let i= n-1 so this becomes
    [tex\\sum_{i=0}^\infty A(1-p)^i[/tex]
    That sum is, of course,
    [tex]\frac{A}{1- (1-p)}= \frac{A}{p}= \frac{P(E)*P}{P(E)+ P(F)}[/tex]
    because 1-(1-p)= p. I can't say more because I am still not sure what "P" is.

4. Feb 4, 2008 #3
    Its a probability question, so P(1-p) is just the probability that p has not occurred yet, where p = P(E U F). Since E,F are mutually exclusive, can say p = P(E) + P(F).
  5. Feb 4, 2008 #4
    But you pretty much answered my question...naturally it was a mistake in arithmetic. Thanks for helping me with that...sometimes one gets so wrapped up in the global outcome of the problem and loses track of the little details.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?