Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation of peaking sequences

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    well, peaking is just a term I gave to a sequence that progresses normally, but when it gets to the point of regression, the pattern changes. this is a bad explanation so here is an example:

take the sequence as follows:
    2+4+6+7+6+4+2
    now look at this sequence
    2+4+6+4+2
    whats the difference? 7+6
    so, that sequence plus the ( peak + (peak- (delta-1)))
    if this is so then we can reduce the equation to a progressive to regressive sequence.

so the equation would turn out to be
    [tex]\frac{(Rp-1)^{2}}{2}+ (2Rp-1)[/tex] (in the occasion at least, you can write it to accommodate all)

so
    2+4+6+7+6+4+2=31

and
    [tex]\frac{(6)^{2}}{2}+ (7+6)=31[/tex]

I believe this is correct for a peak of -1. as for a peak equal to delta... it is just:
    [tex]Rp^{2}+2Rp-1[/tex]

This is as far as I have come, if anyone is willing to add one of there long algebraic explanations to this topic that explains this I would be very happy (hwmaltby!!) :).

Once I learn how to do them (remind you I have not done anything that I am currently doing independently in school) I will do this without help more. And I must come here because my teachers are on the same level of thought as I am lol.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted