Summation of Series: Learn the Basics

In summary, the summation of a series is the total sum of all the terms in a given series, denoted by the symbol Σ. To find the summation, you need to identify the pattern and use a formula or calculator. A finite series has a specific number of terms and can be summed up, while an infinite series has an infinite number of terms and cannot be summed up. Understanding summation of series is important in various fields and has real-life applications, such as calculating compound interest in finance.
coconut62
Please see attached image.

I don't understand how is it so. :confused:

(Attempt): I already thought very hard, and obviously for this kind of mathematical rules, if i don't know the concept, i can't really make any attempt right? Just give me some hint then.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20130401_154408.jpg
    20130401_154408.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the series for n=2, 3, 4, ... and compare it with the series 1+22+32+...

ehild

Okay, I suddenly see light. The whole thing is clear, thanks.

1. What is the summation of a series?

The summation of a series is the total sum of all the terms in a given series. It is denoted by the symbol Σ (sigma) and is often used in mathematics and physics to represent a series of numbers or variables that follow a specific pattern.

2. How do you find the summation of a series?

To find the summation of a series, you need to first identify the pattern or sequence of numbers in the series. Then, you can use a specific formula or method, such as the arithmetic or geometric series formula, to calculate the sum. Another way is to use a calculator or computer program specifically designed for summation calculations.

3. What is the difference between a finite and infinite series?

A finite series has a specific number of terms and can be summed up, while an infinite series has an infinite number of terms and cannot be summed up. In other words, a finite series has a definite end, while an infinite series continues indefinitely.

4. What is the importance of understanding summation of series?

Understanding summation of series is crucial in various fields, such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. It allows us to calculate the total sum of a large set of numbers or variables, which is often used in solving complex equations and problems. It also helps in analyzing data and making predictions.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life application of summation of series?

One example of a real-life application of summation of series is in finance, specifically in calculating compound interest. The formula for compound interest involves an infinite series, which represents the interest earned on the initial investment compounded over time. Understanding summation of series allows us to accurately calculate the total amount of interest earned over a certain period.