1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation problem

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\Sigma^{4}_{k=0}[/tex] [tex]\stackrel{1}{k^{2}+1}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

I would imagine it has something to do with this property

[tex]\Sigma^{n}_{i=1}[/tex] [tex]i^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\stackrel{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So at first I thought I could bring [tex]k^{2}[/tex]+1 to the top by,

However that didn't work.

I do know that I can solve it by

[tex]\stackrel{1}{0^{2}+1}[/tex]+[tex]\stackrel{1}{1^{2}+1}[/tex] and so on and so for so forth but I want to know how to apply the properties.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2
    sorry I suppose the computer doen't like my problem...I thought i put it in right. If it helps I'll write it out. the problem is,

Sigma with the upper bound being 4 and the lower bound being 0 and the function is one divided by (k squared plus 1)

Hopefully the rest can be figured out...just think of it as a puzzle, lol.
  4. Oct 20, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So the problem is to add 1/(k2+ 1) for k= 0 to 4? That's just an arithmetic problem!

1/1+ 1/(4+1)+ 1/(9+1)+ 1/(16+1)= what?
  5. Oct 20, 2008 #4
    yes but I wanted to see how this may apply to the formula [n(n+1)(2n+1)]/6 for any k squared or maybe a different formula I'm not aware of because what if the problem went form 0-150 there is no way anyone would want to work that out the way you did.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?