1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation problem

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f(n) = 1/2 + 1/3 + .... + 1/n
    Show that f(n) is not an integer for any positive integer n

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that rearraning/breaking down the statement might be easier than applying a theorem since it seems like a simpler problem. Simply arranging the terms got pretty messy so I think the best method is to try to find an integer C such that C x f(n) is not a integer for any value of n. I tried different ways of computing such an integer C, such as taking C to be (n-1)! or something similar for that the summation will give a bunch of integers plus one term that is not an integer but I failed to find such a value. Hopefully someone can help me out over here. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    I'm a little rusty on this stuff but couldn't we solve this using induction?

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    The funny thing is [tex]f(1)=1/1[/tex] and [tex]1[/tex] is an integer. But, aside from that, IDK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?