1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation problem

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A set contains numbers from 1-100. What is the least non-negative value that one can form by putting a + or - in front of each number, and summing the values?

2. Relevant equations

there are a few general summation formulas which I know...

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem that I am facing is the purpose:

by adding a + or - in front of each number

Is the question asking me to perform an alternating series? +, -, +, -, +, -
    or solely one for 1+2+3+4+5.... and one for 1-2+3-4+5.....

Please give me some guidance... thanks

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2010 #2
    You can add a + or a - anywhere, so you can partition the set and then proceed to + or - accordingly. If the set is the integers in [0,100], then you can pair integers a,b such that a+b=100. Hopefully I am understanding the question right.

4. Feb 28, 2010 #3
    Hmmm let me update the question if anyone is confused.

A set contains numbers from 1-100. What is the least non-negative value that one can form by putting a + or - in front of each number, and summing the values?

I think this is a bit more clear.

Hmm I am sorry, VeeEight. I read about partition, but I still don't understand its application.
    Now i just rewrite the question, so i will wait for your confirmation.

5. Feb 28, 2010 #4
    My idea was that if the your set is {0, 1, 2, ...., 100}, then you can say 0+100=100, 1+99=100, 2+98=.... and so on. Thus, you can take 100/2 terms in this form and take a second class of 100/2 terms and add them up and subtract the two classes.

6. Feb 28, 2010 #5
    We want to consider every such expression. For instance:

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + 100
    where every sign is +.

1 - 2 - 3 + 4 - 5 + 6 - 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 - 11 + ... + 100
    where every prime has a - sign.

For each number, we choose a + or a -, and then we evaluate the resulting sum/difference. There's no way to evaluate these in general other than going through each and adding/subtracting all 100 numbers.

However, we're looking for the smallest non-negative sum, so if we can show a way to sum these numbers and get zero, we'd be finished.

Just start experimenting with the signs on the first several numbers, and you should find a nice pattern.

Big hint:
    Note that 1 - 2 - 3 + 4 = 5 - 6 - 7 + 8 = 0.

7. Feb 28, 2010 #6
    wooo this is really really impressive. i wish i learn this at my young age. my friend told me he learned this since he was in Math Olympics team.

lol thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook