Solving Summation Problem: 1/1! + 2/2! + 3/3! + 4/4!...

• Thread starter Ashwin_Kumar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses a summation question involving n/n! with n ranging from 1 to infinity. The series is proven to converge and the solution is found to be the Taylor series expansion for e^x. The conversation also includes instructions for writing limits and a side discussion on finding e to the power of pi i +1.
Ashwin_Kumar
Hello, i have been trying to solve a summation question for a while, and I'm not too much of an expert at the subject, so i couldn't figure it out. it is the sum of n/n! in which n takes the value from one to infinity. In other words, just 1/1! + 2/2! + 3/3! + 4/4!...

Well, firstly, does the series diverge or converge? i think it converges and has a limit. In the end i came up with this

lim 1/((n-1)!)
n->infin

PS Could someone tell me how to write limits here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Ashwin Kumar! :smile:

Limit can be written as \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{ ... } between [ itex ] and [ /itex] tags (without spaces).

Anyway, do you know the Taylor series of the exponential function?

\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{n}{n!}=\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{(n-1)!}
Gives:
[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{n}{n!}=\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{(n-1)!}
[/tex]
when used with tex, use the advance button to see all math things you can do

So far it is correct and it does converge, how to solve it I don't know. Maybe use Z-transform to solve it.

Also [tex](n-1)!=\prod_{k=1}^{n-1}k[/tex] might help

Last edited:
Jaynte said:
\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{n}{n!}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{1}{(n-1)!}
Gives:
[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{n}{n!}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{1}{(n-1)!}
[/tex]
when used with tex, use the advance button to see all math things you can do

So far it is correct and it does converge, how to solve it I don't know. Maybe use Z-transform to solve it.

Also [tex](n-1)!=\prod_{k=1}^{n-1}k[/tex] might help

The sum should start at n=1, not n=0. The sum is also quite easy, once you recognize it. As micromass suggested, taking a look at the Taylor series expansion for e^x is quite helpful.

Mute said:
The sum should start at n=1, not n=0. The sum is also quite easy, once you recognize it. As micromass suggested, taking a look at the Taylor series expansion for e^x is quite helpful.

it doesn't matter if n starts at 0 since n!=1 when n=0 in the first summation, but it should be n=1 in the other summation

Last edited:
Ok i'll take a look at the taylor series expansion

Ashwin_Kumar said:
Hello, i have been trying to solve a summation question for a while, and I'm not too much of an expert at the subject, so i couldn't figure it out. it is the sum of n/n! in which n takes the value from one to infinity. In other words, just 1/1! + 2/2! + 3/3! + 4/4!...

Well, firstly, does the series diverge or converge? i think it converges and has a limit. In the end i came up with this

lim 1/((n-1)!)
n->infin

PS Could someone tell me how to write limits here?

The answer is e.

you simply need the e^x expansion (this is also a way to find e to the power of pi i +1but sin x+i cos x is more useful since the sine disapears and the i cos x is -1.).

1. What is a summation problem?

A summation problem is a mathematical exercise that involves adding a series of numbers together in a specific order or pattern. It is also known as a series or sequence.

2. How do you solve a summation problem?

To solve a summation problem, you need to identify the pattern of the series and use a formula or mathematical method to find the sum. In the case of the summation problem 1/1! + 2/2! + 3/3! + 4/4!, the pattern is that each term is the number divided by its factorial (the product of all the numbers from 1 to that number).

3. What is the formula for solving the sum of factorial fractions?

The formula for solving the sum of factorial fractions is: ∑n=1 to k (n/n!) = (k+1)/k!

4. Can a summation problem have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, a summation problem can have an infinite number of terms. In such cases, it is known as an infinite series. For example, 1/1! + 2/2! + 3/3! + 4/4! + ... is an infinite series.

5. What is the significance of solving summation problems?

Solving summation problems is important in mathematics and other fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It helps in understanding and predicting patterns and sequences, and is used to calculate sums and integrals for various applications.