Summation Problem: Find Sum of 3r - 2r to n Terms

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum to n terms of a series with a given rth term. The attempted solution involves using logarithms, but a mistake is made in the process. It is suggested to split the series into two geometric series. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to review properties of logarithms to avoid mistakes in the future.
lionely

Homework Statement

Find the sum to n terms of the series whose rth term is 3r - 2r

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried this

rlog3 - rlog2 = n(n+1)/2 log3 - n(n+1)/2 log2

then I realized this was kind of useless, the only thing I could get from this is

n(n+1)/2 log (3/2) , then I don't know what to do with it.

the answer in the book is 3n+1/2 -2n+1 + 1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:

Homework Statement

Find the sum to n terms of the series whose rth term is 3r - 2r

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried this

rlog3 - rlog2 = n(n+1)/2 log3 - n(n+1)/2 log2
You have a mistake right off the bat. log(A - B) ≠ logA - logB.
Split your series into two - each part is a geometric series.
lionely said:
then I realized this was kind of useless, the only thing I could get from this is

n(n+1)/2 log (3/2) , then I don't know what to do with it.

the answer in the book is 3n+1/2 -2n+1 + 1/2

I see it now thanks.. I keep making those darned mistakes with logs!

It would be worth your while to review the properties of logs. They might be listed in an appendix of the book you're using. If not, get a precalc book or put in some time in an online tutorial such as khanacademy or the like.

1. What is the summation problem?

The summation problem involves finding the sum of a series of numbers, usually represented as a mathematical expression. In this case, we are finding the sum of a series with a pattern of 3r - 2r, where r is the term number, up to a specified number of terms (n).

2. How is the sum of 3r - 2r to n terms calculated?

The sum of 3r - 2r to n terms is calculated using the formula: Sn = (3n - 2n) / (3 - 2), where Sn represents the sum of the series. This formula is derived from the general formula for the sum of an arithmetic series: Sn = n/2 (a + l), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term.

3. Can the summation problem be solved for any value of r?

Yes, the summation problem can be solved for any value of r as long as there is a finite number of terms (n) specified. However, the value of r may affect the final result of the sum.

4. What is the purpose of solving the summation problem?

The summation problem is frequently used in mathematical and scientific calculations, such as determining the total distance traveled by an object with varying speeds or finding the total volume of a container with changing dimensions. It is also used in financial calculations, such as calculating compound interest.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the summation problem?

Yes, the summation problem has various real-world applications. It is used in economics to determine the total cost or revenue of a business over a period of time. It is also used in physics to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object with changing values. In computer science, summation problems are used in algorithms and data analysis.