1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation proof

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does anyone know a clever way to prove that

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n}i^2 {n \choose i} = n(n+1) 2^{n-2} [/tex]

where B(n,i) is n take i?

I can do it, but I had to divide into the cases of n = odd and n = even and it took about 1 page front and back. I'm sure there is a trick.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the second derivative of (1+x)^n and its binomial expansion, then mess with the index of the summation and set x=1. (I'm assuming your n+1 is actually n-1.)

4. Jan 13, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

??? It's obviously not true if you replace (n+1) by (n-1). Take n= 1. Then the lefthand side is 1. [iotex]n(n+1)2^{n-2}[/itex] becomes, for n= 1, [itex]1(2)2^{-1}= 1[/itex]. If you replace (n+1) by (n-1), it becomes [tex]2(0)2^{-1}= 0[/itex].

5. Jan 13, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're right of course. I was a bit careless with my algebra. The identity I had in mind was:
    [tex]\sum_{i=0}^n i(i-1) {n \choose i} = n(n-1)2^{n-2}[/tex]

But no worries - a similar trick can still be applied: Differentiate, multiply by x, and differentiate again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?