Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation properties

1. Oct 29, 2015 #1
    Hello, I can not find the way to solve the following equation:
    sum of k^2 f(k) from k=1 to n.

In Particular, k^2 * (1/k)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no general formula for arbitrary functions f.
    In your specific example, there is a very easy one that you'll find in every collection of sum formulas.

4. Oct 29, 2015 #3
    I have found how to solve ∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)], for example:

∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)] = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [f(j)] ]
    Dem:
    ∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)] = 1·f(1) + 2·f(2) + 3·f(3) + ... + n·f(n) = f(1) + f(2) + f(2) +
    + f(3) + f(3) + f(3) + ... + f(n) + ... + f(n) = [f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + ... + f(n)] +
    + [f(2) + f(3) + ... + f(n)] + [f(3) + ... + f(n)] + ... + f(n) =
    = ∑{j=1,n} [f(j)] + ∑{j=2,n} [f(j)] + ∑{j=3,n} [f(j)] + ... + ∑{j=n,n} [f(j)] =
    = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [f(j)] ]

However, I need to solve ∑{k=1,n} [k^2·f(k)]

5. Oct 29, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

That is not "solving", it is transforming one expression into another, here a sum into a double sum.

You can do the same scheme here. Let g(k)=k*f(k) and apply the formula you found for k*g(k).
    Do the same thing again and you get a triple sum over f(m)

6. Oct 29, 2015 #5
    I already tried that, but it didn't work.
    For example:

∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)] = 1·f(1) + 2·f(2) + 3·f(3) + ... + n·f(n) = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [f(j)] ]

But,

∑{k=1,n} [k^2·f(k)] = 1·f(1) + 4·f(2) + 9·f(3) + ... + n^2·f(n) ≠ ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} ∑{i=j,n}[[f(i)]] ]

7. Oct 29, 2015 #6
    It seems to be that:
    Although: ∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)] = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [f(j)] ] holds,
    ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [j*f(j)] ] = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} ∑{i=j,n}[[f(i)]] ] does not hold.

8. Oct 29, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

That's not what I suggested.

Right, as you start the multiplications with j=k, not with 1. There is a way to avoid that.

9. Oct 29, 2015 #8
    How can I solve: ∑{k=1,n} [k^2· 2^(-k)]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  10. Oct 29, 2015 #9

Mark44

As you have already been told, you are not "solving" these summations. Instead, you are writing them in a different form.

Please ask your question in such a way that makes it clear what you want to happen.

11. Oct 29, 2015 #10
    I need to find an equivalent expression without the sigma notation of the expression: ∑{k=1,n} [k^2· 2^(-k)]

12. Oct 30, 2015 #11

mfb

2016 Award

It is possible with the ideas given in the thread.

In case you are just interested in the result, WolframAlpha can calculate it - I copied your equation 1:1, didn't even need reformatting. I just changed the brackets so the forum displays the link correctly.

13. Nov 7, 2015 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Sigma (##\Sigma##) is the greek symbol used for sums. The question is about properties of sums.

14. Nov 7, 2015 #13

Mark44

I have changed the title of this thread to "Summation properties".

15. Nov 7, 2015 #14

fresh_42

What a pitty. ∑ properties would have been far more interesting.

16. Nov 7, 2015 #15

Mark44

Are you referring to sigma-algebras (##\sigma-\text{algebras}##) and the like? If so, lowercase ##\sigma## (sigma) is used.
    In any case, and interesting or not, the title now reflects what the OP asked.

17. Nov 7, 2015 #16

fresh_42

I meant hyperons and yes, it was meant to be both funny and a food for thought. But hey, I'm new and I'am trying to get used to the language here. Jokes don't seem to rank very high. Ok, lesson learned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook