1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Summation Question

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    heMwm.png

So whats going on here? Since there is a 2^(k-1), I can subtract one from n and also the index? Thats what it looks like they did. Also, where did they get that 1/2 from?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2

danago

Gold Member

The 1/2=2-1 is simply the term of the summation for which k=-1; by bringing it out of the summation, the lower bound can be changed from k=-1 to k=0

4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    Oh ok..so how is it that we can change the bound? What is the rule for that or steps?

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

danago

Gold Member

Think about it like this:

[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{n + 1} {{2^{k - 1}}} = {2^{ - 1}} + {2^0} + {2^1} + ... + {2^{n - 1}} + {2^n} = \sum\limits_{k = - 1}^n {{2^k}} [/tex]

Do you see why changing the bounds is valid?

6. Sep 14, 2010 #5
    But the bound for the first was n+1, so shouldnt the last term be 2^(n+1) or no?

7. Sep 14, 2010 #6

danago

Gold Member

But remember, the index of 2 is now k-1. So when k=n+1, the index will be (n+1)-1=n

8. Sep 14, 2010 #7
    So if my lower bound were 1, I could bring out a 2 and the new index would start from 2? And if the bound were 2, I could bring out a 4 and new bound would be 3?

9. Sep 14, 2010 #8

danago

Gold Member

Yes thats right

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook