1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation question

1. May 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a set of data (i, yi). A polynomial fit of 1st degree would be y=ai+b, right?
    If I have c=Σ(i2*yi) is it correct to substitute y=ai+b inside the summation?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are being careless with notation, and it is landing you in trouble. You have data ##\{ (i, y_i)
    \}## and fit a formula of the form ##Y(x) = ax + b## to the data; that is, you are approximating ##y_i## by the value ##Y(i) = ai + b##. Hopefully, the approximation is good in some sense, but that is another, separate issue. Anyway, you have a quantity ##c = \sum i^2 y_i##. When you substitute ##Y(i)## instead of ##y_i## you are computing an approximation ##C = \sum i^2 Y(i)## instead of the exact value of ##c##.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
  4. May 29, 2014 #3
    I don't care about the exact approximation because I test various polynomials to figure out for which c approximates a specific known value. But my problem is what to do about the coefficients of the polynomials. Is there a way to calculate them in order to calculate c?

5. May 29, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you perform the fit to the data? If you use the least-squares method there are formulas for the coefficients. If you use some other method, there may not be formulas---only algorithms. For example, if you do a least average absolute-deviation fit, you can set up the problem as a linear program and solve it using a standard package (such as the EXCEL Solver). The solution of the linear program will include values of the coefficients.

6. May 29, 2014 #5
    Okay I understand that, thank you. But what if I want to test with polynomials of second degree or higher?
    My y data can be manually changed and c takes a specific value. What I'm trying to do is figure out which ys to change to make c take that value and/or by how much. Is that possible?

7. May 29, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you asking whether we can find numbers ##a## and ##b## that give
    [tex] \sum_{i=1}^n i^2 (ai+b) = c[/tex]
    then the answer is an obvious yes. If we let ##s_3 = \sum_{i=1}^n i^3## and ##s_1 = \sum_{i=1}^n i^2## then the equation just says that ##s_3 a + s_2 b = c## and there are lots of ##(a,b)## combinations that satisfy that. If you also want the form ##Y(i) = ai + b## to be a (hopefully good) fit to some data ##\{ i, y_i \}##, then you just have a constrained version of the usual data-fitting methods. The standard fitting formulas may no longer apply--- because of your specified constraint ##s_3 a + s_2 b = c##---but you can use a constrained optimization method to get a numerical solution. For example, you can do it using the EXCEL Solver.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted