Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation questions

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    I am having trouble understanding how to find the limit of a summation. I know the formulas and properties but cannot seem to simplify them into a rational form becuase i have never been good at simplifying rational expressions and if there is an easier way to solve them.
    I enjoy Summation math and i am wonder two things: 1) can one find the Derivative of a summation and how do you get ride of manipulate problems to get rid of the Summation symbol (if this makes sense).

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2
    Well, to differentiate a summation, you would just differentiate each term in the summation (think of the summation as a large sequence of + signs).

I'm not sure what you mean by the second part of the question, summation is just a way to avoid writing out large (sometimes infinite) quantities of numbers in order to manipulate expressions faster.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?