1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation/Sigma equation

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A puzzle I'm trying to find a solution to, and have no idea on where to begin. Any pointers, or answers, appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What exactly is the problem? You've given an equation but haven't said what problem you are trying to solve.

I also see many difficulties with the equation: you have a sum over j but there is no j in the numbers to be summed. If that is really what you mean then the result is just 5 times kxlym for each l and m. But you also give different values of "k" for each l and m. Did you mean klm rather than just k? Looks to me like your equation becomes a 5 by 5 matrix equation with only some of the 25 entries involving x and y. Are we to assume that klm = 0 for combinations of l and m not in the table?
  4. Nov 8, 2008 #3

Hi HallsofIvy,

I'm trying to find the values of x & y. The equation is all that has been given, no other instructions or pointers. I'm rapidly learning that it doesn't appear to be 'standard' for want of a better term. Your assumptions could well be correct, and you may be onto the right path. Thanks.
  5. Nov 8, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your equation should really be written as

[tex]\sum_{j=0}^5 k_j x^{l_j}y^{m_j} =0[/tex]

Since the values of [itex]k[/itex], [itex]l[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] all depend on the value of [itex]j[/itex].

...as for the best method of solving this; give me a moment to think about it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?