1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation Verification

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I'm just trying to evaluate a series and would just appreciate if someone could either verify or correct me work.

Essentially, I have a series that I've produced:

-[(t^2)/2 + (t^5)/(2x5) + (t^8)/(2x5x8) + ...]

= - *sum from n = 0 to infinity* [(t^(3n+2))/(3n+2)!] = -e^t

Sorry for the poor syntax. I'm just in a slight rush here and can hopefully fix it up sooner rather than later. Regardless, i essentially get -e^t as my answer, and if someone could verify if this is correct, that would be very helpful. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

???
    How do you figure that your series equals -et?
    The Maclaurin series for -et is -(1 + t + t2/2! + ... + tn/n! + ...)

4. Oct 24, 2014 #3
    Yes, it seems very odd and certainly not equivalent. I tried simplifying the series, but I only got to -t2 sum [t^3n/(3n+2)! But I can't quite further simplify it from here to put it in a form that seems expressible in terms of a function of e^rt. Any hints? Is there any way for me to possibly simplify the factorial in the denominator? If I change the summation from n = 0 to n = 1 (and still to infinity), this would allow it to become t^(3n - 3)/(3n - 1)!, but that still doesn't really help....

5. Oct 24, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What's the problem you're trying to solve?

6. Oct 24, 2014 #5
    There's actually no specific problem...

I essentially have this series (that was found in another problem) and although there are other representations which could help me solve this, i was wondering if there was a way for me to transform this into a function of e^rt....I don't quite see any ways to do so, but would welcome any suggestions or methods. I don't quite see how having t^(3n) terms in the sum can allow for the sum to be expressed as a function of e^rt.
    I was also wondering if there are other ways to manipulate the denominator factorial to help make the sum become another expression.

7. Oct 25, 2014 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

8. Oct 25, 2014 #7

lurflurf

Homework Helper

It is easy if you know about complex numbers
    let
    $$
    A=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^{3k}}{(3k)!} \\
    B=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^{3k+1}}{(3k+1)!} \\
    C=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^{3k+2}}{(3k+2)!} \\
    t=-\tfrac{1}{2}(1+i\sqrt{3})
    \text{then solve for C using}\\
    e^x=A+B+C
    e^{t x}=A+t B+t^2 C
    \\e^{t^2 x}=A+t^2 B+t C
    $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook