1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation ?

1. Aug 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am to find the sum of the series, but what do i do if it is infinite?? no clue.
    i'm also not sure how to type the symbols so i hope you can understand me:shy:
    : (Sum) n=0, limit = infinity: 1/2(2/3)^n

2. Relevant equations
    i 'm not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    i understand how to add up to a limit, but what do i do with the infinity?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2
    Well if the 1/2 is the first term in the product then you can pull it out front (this is obvious by the distributive law). Then recognize it as a geometric series. There is a simple formula for an infinite geometric series which you should try deriving yourself.

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3
    .. 1/2(sum)n=0, infinity (2/3)^n+1 ..
    ?? do you just leave it like that?..
    as a sort of equation?

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4
    Ok an infinite geometric series like a normal one has a first term conventionally detonated as [tex]a[/tex] and common ratio [tex]r[/tex]. Since we start at n = 0, the first term is (2/3)^0 = 1 (You can't just change the exponent from n to n+1 unless you change the starting value. Making do with what you're given is best in this case). Then we go to n = 1, the second term is (2/3)^1 = 1*(2/3) = 2/3. Then for n = 2, the third term is (2/3)^2 = (2/3)(2/3). Now the idea is to sum all of these terms, i.e. 1 + 1*(2/3) + 1*(2/3)*(2/3) + 1*(2/3)(2/3)(2/3) + ...

So we can generalize a bit. We have [tex]a[/tex] as our first term and a common ratio [tex]r[/tex]. Our sum, which we'll denote [tex]S[/tex] is

[tex]S = a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ...[/tex] (1)

(Compare with the first paragraph to understand why this is true).

Now we need to solve for [tex]S[/tex] because that gives us the sum. The trick here is to multiply [tex]S[/tex] by our common ratio [tex]r[/tex], i.e. multiply both sides of (1) above by [tex]r[/tex] and write it underneath. Then subtract the new equation from (1) and see for yourself how all the terms cancel and allow you to solve easily for [tex]S[/tex]

6. Aug 20, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Wholewheat458! :smile:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}\,\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n[/tex]

[tex]=\ \frac{1}{2}\,\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n[/tex]

You should know what [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n[/tex] is,

but if you don't, just sum it from 0 to N, and then let N --> ∞ :smile:

(btw, it's [noparse][tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}\,\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n[/tex][/noparse] :wink:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?