Summer 2009 Math REUs

• Thread starter Jacobpm64
  • Start date
Wow owlpride, congratulations! Its great you got in to all those, they seem like really good programs. Unfortunately I have absolutely no advice for you since I have no experience myself.

I have an idea, since you are going to decline all but 1 why don't you just pass one on to me, I don't even care which one ;)

I applied to the following math REUs:

BYU
Canisius
Grand Valley State
Penn State (MASS/REU)
Oregon State
Willamette
San Diego State

Has anyone heard from these REUs? Because I haven't.

BYU
Canisius
Grand Valley State
Penn State (MASS/REU)
Oregon State
Willamette
San Diego State

Has anyone heard from these REUs? Because I haven't.

I have applied to BYU, but they said that they won't let the students know untill late next week. I am not keeping my hopes up at all, since i am an international student, and they sent me an email saying that this year they are accepting only 1 international student, which sucks, but what can i do. But, like they say, one never knows!

Texas A&M (Matrix Analysis and Wavelets Program)
Grand Valley State
Central Michigan
U Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Northern Kentucky University

I've only heard back from Texas A&M and got accepted, but I haven't heard a thing from anyone else. Congrats to everyone that got accepted and good luck to everyone.

owlpride, i did the cornell math reu last year and it was a good experience. everything is completely research-focused as opposed to some reus where you spend most of your time taking classes. you work on a team of about five undergrads, one grad student helper, and one adviser, and you meet everyday during the week. also, if you live in prospect of whitby a fully stocked fridge (except for meat) is included, and the rent is very cheap as well so you shouldn't worry too much about having to find your own room and board. i don't know much about the indiana reu, but you should find out what project you would be doing there and decide based on whether you like the indiana topic or cornell topic better.

JCVD what kind of mathematical background did you have when you were accepted into the Cornell REU and what do you believe made your application considerably stronger than the rest of the applicants? I know Cornell's REU is difficult to get accepted into.

i think the main reason i got into the cornell reu was that my background was very well suited for the project i applied for, which was in logic. i had done the penn state reu/mass program the year before, and one of the courses i took in the mass program was in computability theory, which was taught by one of the more famous logicians; i did well in that class and had that professor write me a recommendation letter. otherwise my stats were good but not necessarily phenomenal: i come from a very good small liberal arts school, my math gpa at the time was probably about 3.8, and beyond the introductory math classes i had taken 2 terms of combinatorics, 2 terms of abstract algebra, and 1 term each of number theory, odes, complex analysis, computability theory, geometric topology, and analytic probability theory, in addition to 3 terms of cs. my only real research experience at the time was the penn state reu i had done the year before, and i did not have anything published. i think i wrote a pretty good personal statement more geared toward why i was qualified to participate in the reu rather than why i really wanted to participate in the reu, though i did at least mention the latter.

Thanks for the comments, JCVD!

I accepted Cornell's offer yesterday. Can I contact you later this spring if I have some burning questions that are best answered by a former REU participant?

Thanks for your response JCVD, what logician did you work with at Penn State?

Does anyone know which REUs have made their first round of offers?

I have applied only to two REU programs, mainly due to the fact that i am an international student, and since most of these programs are funded by NSF they don't accept international students.
As an international student myself, i was wondering how far our international status would affect our application.

steve simpson was the penn state logician i was talking about

As an international student myself, i was wondering how far our international status would affect our application.

Well, as far as i know, if you are simply in a F-1 visa (student visa), which i am myself, that is if you don't have permanent residentship, then you have to look only for those REU's that explicitly state that they accept international students. Most of them, however, state in their webpages that they do not accept international students, because, as you might be aware of, most of these programs are funded by NSF(National Science Foundation) and as a requirement is to be a U.S citizen or permanent resident, which sucsk a lot. I personally could come accross only three REU's that accept international students, and they don't even aid you financialy, that is they don't award you stipends or anything like that.
Williams COlleges, BYU, and Caltech where the only ones i found that grant admission to international students. BYU accepts only 1 international student for this summer, which almost kills my chances for getting in.

Does anyone know which REUs have made their first round of offers?

I know for sure that Williams COllege has done.

i think the main reason i got into the cornell reu was that my background was very well suited for the project i applied for, which was in logic. i had done the penn state reu/mass program the year before, and one of the courses i took in the mass program was in computability theory, which was taught by one of the more famous logicians; i did well in that class and had that professor write me a recommendation letter. otherwise my stats were good but not necessarily phenomenal: i come from a very good small liberal arts school, my math gpa at the time was probably about 3.8, and beyond the introductory math classes i had taken 2 terms of combinatorics, 2 terms of abstract algebra, and 1 term each of number theory, odes, complex analysis, computability theory, geometric topology, and analytic probability theory, in addition to 3 terms of cs. my only real research experience at the time was the penn state reu i had done the year before, and i did not have anything published. i think i wrote a pretty good personal statement more geared toward why i was qualified to participate in the reu rather than why i really wanted to participate in the reu, though i did at least mention the latter.
Hmm. well your math background is really strong. How do you classify now:are u sophomore, junior, senior?

Just a quick REU question in general... If you haven't heard from a prospective REU a week after the first acceptance offers, do you still have any chance of getting in? Or, if you're not in the first "draft", are your chances rather slim?

Does anyone here know anything about the REU-like program the NSA is running? The director's summer program? I was wondering if anyone heard of it or maybe knows someone who was in it. What is your opinion of it?

Just a quick REU question in general... If you haven't heard from a prospective REU a week after the first acceptance offers, do you still have any chance of getting in? Or, if you're not in the first "draft", are your chances rather slim?

I think you still have a decent chance if you are waitlisted. Since REU applications are free, people often send many of them. I will be turning down five out of six offers next week, and I suppose many people that have been successful with their applications are in a similar situation.

Proggle, which REUs have you already been accepted to?

Last edited:
Just in case someone's interested, I can add Mount Holyoke and the Claremont Colleges to my earlier list of acceptances. 7/10 offers, 3 applications withdrawn. *Patting myself on the shoulder*

I hope some of these spots are passed on to you!

I think you still have a decent chance if you are waitlisted. Since REU applications are free, people often send many of them. I will be turning down five out of six offers next week, and I suppose many people that have been successful with their applications are in a similar situation.
How do you know if you're waitlisted?

I got rejected from GVSU and was informed today. Over 100 applicants.

Just got accepted to grand valley state :)

Anyone have any experience with the university?

congrats Blerg. You were here since the beginning of the thread! lol

hi all!:)

I got accepted into the inverse problems group at Rose-Hulman, and the Computational Statistics group at James Madison Univeristy. (I also got accepted into one of the projects at Rutgers but it didn't get funding, and wait listed for another).

I've accepted the one at James Madison Univeristy, and am wondering if anyone has been there before and has anything they'd like to share about it?:D