Applying to Math REUs Summer 2009: Results & Discussion

• Thread starter Jacobpm64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary: Yeah, I wish I was more narrowed down on what I wanted to do. I just applied to many different programs in general, and I hope that the program itself can help me to narrow things down a bit for me. Also, I'm into these things because I'm hoping for a publication as...well...a mathematician.
I think I was just rejected from Carnegie Mellon, although they worded the reply email in a way that could be construed as either "no offers have been made yet" or "you will not be offered a position." I will post the information I get from my clarification email.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clockward said:
I think I was just rejected from Carnegie Mellon, although they worded the reply email in a way that could be construed as either "no offers have been made yet" or "you will not be offered a position." I will post the information I get from my clarification email.

Maybe they didn't get NSF funding this year? I wonder how many programs had to be canceled because of that...

Anyone going to the Cornell Summer Math Institute?

Carnegie Mellon clarified that they didn't want me. At least I'm going to Penn State's program, which is pretty awesome in of itself.

Jacobpm64 said:
I'm starting this up to find out who else is applying to math REUs for the summer of 2009. That way, we can talk about when we got acceptances/rejections and what not.

I've applied to:
Williams College
LSU
Indiana University
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
College of William & Mary
University of Minnesota-Duluth
Cornell

So far, I have been rejected to University of Minnesota-Duluth, and I haven't heard back from anyone else (but the deadlines are not up yet on most of these).

Anyone apply to any math REUs? How is it going? Hear anything back?

I did REU last summer, and I was worried that I would not get into any REU program this year, so I applied about 10 programs.

1. BYU
2. UCLA - BJ
3. Cornell (accepted)
4. U conn. (accepted)
5. NC State (accepted)
6. NKU (accepted)
7. OSU (accepted)
8. Penn State
9. Central Michigan
10. WiVaM

So far, I know 5 schools accepted me. I have not heard from other schools yet. I guess that they will either reject me or ignore me. NKU was the first school accepted me. They gave me a week to decide whether to go or not. So, I sent emails to all the programs I listed above and asked them about my application status. Some of them did not reply me, and some of them accepted me...

Anyway, I have decided which one I'm going...

BTW, do you know how important is REU experience in graduate school applications?

GOOD LUCK!

mathhhh said:
You are right Owl, thanks. I assumed it had the same deadline as their REU. Do you know anything about how competitive admission into MASS isl Owl?

It is not very competitive admission into MASS program. (MASS PROGRAM AT PENN STATE). I went there. I guess that they take most of people who apply to that program. It is a really tough program, but it is excellent and great! When I was there, I suffered a lot, because I did not know a lot of things or had not taken some classes which I should have taken before I went to Penn State. However, after finals, I felt good, and I was very proud of myself.

JCVD said:
i think the main reason i got into the cornell reu was that my background was very well suited for the project i applied for, which was in logic. i had done the penn state reu/mass program the year before, and one of the courses i took in the mass program was in computability theory, which was taught by one of the more famous logicians; i did well in that class and had that professor write me a recommendation letter. otherwise my stats were good but not necessarily phenomenal: i come from a very good small liberal arts school, my math gpa at the time was probably about 3.8, and beyond the introductory math classes i had taken 2 terms of combinatorics, 2 terms of abstract algebra, and 1 term each of number theory, odes, complex analysis, computability theory, geometric topology, and analytic probability theory, in addition to 3 terms of cs. my only real research experience at the time was the penn state reu i had done the year before, and i did not have anything published. i think i wrote a pretty good personal statement more geared toward why i was qualified to participate in the reu rather than why i really wanted to participate in the reu, though i did at least mention the latter.

I did MASS program last semester. One of my courses is dynamics. So, when I applied for the REU at cornell, I asked the prof. of that course to write me a recommendation. Yes, I got accepted by the REU program. I'm glad that I did MASS. When did you participate in MASS?

qedcutie said:
Oh, wow, Cornell? That's fantastic. Congratulations, owlpride!
I applied there, but that was one of the programs I'm not sure wanted someone with my background. That's so amazing that you'll get to meet Robert Strichartz! And who knows? Allen Hatcher might be around for the summer... Do you know which project you're going to work on?

Do you know Robert Strichartz? I will work with him this summer... I know that he wrote a book about fractals. He actually has mailed the book to my home. However, I'm oversea right now, so I cannot read it. I'm looking forward to it.

mathhhh said:
Did anyone here apply for the Penn State MASS program for the fall, and if so have you heard back?

Yes, I did... I got accepted by the MASS Program. However, I may not go there... I did MASS last semester. Now I am in BSM program. I'm away from my home school for a year now. I want to go back and finish my thesis and prepare for graduate school applications.

Have fun in Penn State if you decide to go to MASS. It is really a great program. you are going to make a lot of SMART and cool people!

pipie my impression was that MASS is competitive and they don't accept whoever applies on a first come first serve basis (they actually reject a lot of people). When were you accepted pipie because I didn't know they made any official offers yet? I received an e-mail stating that they are planning to make me an offer. I wonder when they will make official offers and who else here has been accepted? pipie even though you felt like you were under qualified for the MASS program (going into the program) how much math do you feel like you learned after you completed it? When you returned to your home institution were you able to skip the basic introduction to algebra/analysis (assuming those were the courses you lacked) or any upper intro level courses and take the more advanced section of those courses due to the MASS program? I'm really excited about this opportunity and I feel like by the end of this summer I'll be prepared to take the courses they offer. I am taking several math courses over the summer to prepare.

Last edited:
RCA_0 said:
pipie my impression was that MASS is competitive and they don't accept whoever applies on a first come first serve basis (they actually reject a lot of people). When were you accepted pipie because I didn't know they made any official offers yet? I received an e-mail stating that they are planning to make me an offer. I wonder when they will make official offers and who else here was accepted?

Ah, I c. I was there last semester. I liked it a lot. During the semester, I asked the director of the program if I could participate MASS again. He said "yes, as long as you do well in MASS this semester." I did fine. So, the last day, when I was there, I asked him about it too. He said "yes, of course, we will. apply it!" I applied for it, and got accepted. I just felt bad that I could not go there. I am so tired after taking math courses the whole year... I need a short break for myself.

Are you Jr or senior now?

I'm not a Junior nor am I a Senior. Did the MASS program give you the math background you lacked while in the program and as I asked "how much math do you feel like you learned after you completed it? Were you able to skip the basic introduction to algebra/analysis (assuming those were the courses you lacked) or any upper intro level courses and take the more advanced section of those courses due to the MASS program at your university when you returned? Also when did you get an official offer?"

RCA_0, I had not taken abstract algebra before I went to MASS program. (I knew some about groups and rings though) They helped me a LOT. The TA for algebra class helped me go over all the basic things I needed to or shall know from number theory and abstract algebra. TA from the analysis class helped me with analysis and topology. (I took analysis for a year, but I had never learned measure theory or very advanced analysis.) People there help you through the whole program. Each class has a TA. So, if you do not know something, just go and ask them. They can give you lectures about certain things that you should know. (I was lucky there too. I met some graduate students there and made friends with them. So, I sometimes get extra help from those graduate students. Penn State has a lot of very good graduate students!)

I've gotten the official offer for this year.

Woot! I got accepted to the physics REU program at UIUC this morning! Anyone else going there by any chance?

I got my offer for MASS and the REU about a week ago. Had to turn down the REU though. Looking forward to MASS in the fall!
By the way, if you are curious RCA, I considered myself an average applicant at best compared to the competition I see for the REU'S.

The relevant courses to MASS that I have are:

Intro to proofs (1)
Real Analysis (1)
Complex Analysis (1)
Geometry (1)
Linear Algebra (1)
Abstract Algebra (2, but I will have taken 3 by end of this year)

(also courses in probability, statistics, ODE, PDE)

However, the MASS program may be looking for students who have yet to take analysis and algebra courses.

Good Luck RCA and let us know if you get an offer!

Last edited:
Have fun in MASS program!

Congratulations mathhhh! I got accepted to the MASS program a few days ago!

Even though I am not a math major and so obviously did not apply for math REUs, I have been following this discussion for a while. I am a chemistry major, and applied for 18 (anyone here apply to more?) chemistry REU programs. I just found out I got accepted to LSU yesterday, and I am super excited. Knowing how competitive these REU programs are, I was expecting nothing but the worst, and am truly relieved to find out I made the cut for at least one program. I have been rejected from 4 other programs so far, and am still waiting to hear back from 13 more. Good luck to everyone!

Well, I got in one! Really excited about it. Its an astronomy internship. Would say more, but Linear algebra test tomorrow is calling me.

winterwind said:
I am a chemistry major, and applied for 18 (anyone here apply to more?)

WOW. I thought 13 was a lot but woah. Congrats on getting into one, though!

Well, dang... As of today I was officially rejected from all 6 physics/astronomy REUs I applied to :(

Anyone know of any super-late-deadline summer internships?

I've been rejected to 7 out of 8 math REUs.

I'm going to be self-studying some math subjects over the summer instead.

Won't be a waste regardless :).

I guess the DOE sent out their rejection e-mails today. In any case, I got accepted for a summer internship at University College, London, so my applying to 13 programs wasn't totally useless.

I'd recommend those going for REUs next year to look into international opportunities as well. Summer internships are all over the world and, who knows, you may get into one that's your favorite, non-native country!

Also, the SETI program told me that, due to the stimulus package, they're probably going to have more intern slots available. The SARA program also said that they have some open slots, too.

Last edited:
Is it easier to get into an REU if you already did one?

Jacobpm64 said:
I've been rejected to 7 out of 8 math REUs.

I'm going to be self-studying some math subjects over the summer instead.

Won't be a waste regardless :).
Have you heard from LSU?

nope, i sure haven't.

But, i did have some problems when i submitted the application online, so the application to LSU may not have even been completed

LSU is on spring break this week. I was told on Thursday that I would be receiving information soon so I'd expect they'll be sending out notices this week or next.

oh okay. well there's still one more chance then :P

Not sure if this will help, but I already heard from the chemistry REU at LSU. I don't know if math and chemistry REU at LSU are coordinated by the same people though.

sciboinkhobbes said:
Anyone know of any super-late-deadline summer internships?

I just got an e-mail from SETI today pointing to this: http://reu.stmarys-ca.edu/Welcome.html

Deadline is April 20, if you're interested
The SETI REU is still awaiting NSF funding for some extra positions and will be announcing those towards the end of April.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the sake of everyone who is applying to REUs next year, I thought I would share a conversation with our REU adviser at Cornell.

Over lunch someone asked him how competitive the REU at Cornell is, and he said that there were about 80 applicants for his group (there are 3 groups). Then he said that he chose the 5 of us because everyone of us stood out in some way. One student asked him if he remembered what stood out about his application because it might help his graduate school applications. The adviser's answer: "Oh, it's nothing you did. Your letters of recommendation stood out."

Now you know the secret :)

owlpride said:
For the sake of everyone who is applying to REUs next year, I thought I would share a conversation with our REU adviser at Cornell.

Over lunch someone asked him how competitive the REU at Cornell is, and he said that there were about 80 applicants for his group (there are 3 groups). Then he said that he chose the 5 of us because everyone of us stood out in some way. One student asked him if he remembered what stood out about his application because it might help his graduate school applications. The adviser's answer: "Oh, it's nothing you did. Your letters of recommendation stood out."

Now you know the secret :)

Yeah, I heard of that too... are you in the group group?