1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer after graduation

1. Mar 28, 2009 #1
    I know it's kind of a long way off (since I graduate in May 2010), but I was wondering what most people do for the summer between graduation from undergrad and starting grad school.

It seems most REU's and other undergrad research opportunities are only valid for those who will continue undergrad in the fall.

Are there still plenty of opportunities to do paid math/physics research during this time, or would I have to *gasp* find a real job!?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2
    I know two seniors who will be going to grad school in math next year. One was offered an REU spot at one of the grad schools she was accepted to (she did not apply to the REU and funding is coming from a non-NSF source), the other one will be working with a professor at her undergraduate institution. One of the math majors who graduated last year got a summer job to earn some money before graduate school

4. Mar 28, 2009 #3

eri

You can try going to grad school early and getting involved in research. I spent a month traveling and then worked at a private school for a month teaching physics.

5. Mar 28, 2009 #4
    Personally? I just lived with my parents, and used the time to unwind and do a lot of reading. I'll admit that it wasn't the best use of my time, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

6. Mar 28, 2009 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Perhaps the "formal" summer research programs are more often tailored towards undergraduates, but that doesn't mean there aren't opportunities for interested students who have graduated. Often, you have to network a little to find them.

I know some people who went to their graduate school early and got a head start on research. Personally, I traveled a little bit, and then spent my summer working in unrelated areas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook