1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer after high school

1. May 10, 2007 #1
    I will be graduating from high school this June and I don't really have any plans for summer. Some of my friends and classmates from high school are planning to take summer jobs and some are doing summer session and some are doing both. Right now, I'm thinking about whether to take classes at the local community college before I go to a university. Some classes I'm considering are Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Intro. to Programming, or Physics Mechanics. The math and physics class will fulfill major requirements but the programming class will prepare me for programming using C++ since I haven't programmed before. I also want to work a part time job, but I don't have any job experience. Any suggestions for a first job? Should I take summer classes? I appreciate your input and advice. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2007 #2
    I worked at a farm for a first time job, then worked at long john silvers and got fired after 3 months hah so i went back to the farm its a good time. It was the hardest physical work i've ever done working at a dairy farm so if you like that type of thing and your a hard worker any type of laborer job will accept you. You dont need job experience to lift heavy objects.

Summer classes are expensive as hell, i took an econ class and it was 1400 for 3 credits.

If you can get a calculus or physics course out of the way that would really lessen your load. When I was a freshman the physics courses is what took all my time but I was already good at C++ from self teaching when I was younger so it was cake getting through the intro/intermediate programming courses.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  4. May 10, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your response, Mr. Coffee. Cost should not be a problem since it will cost around $20 a unit.

What I'm worrying about is that if I take prerequisite classes (calculus, algebra, physics), I don't know how they compare with university classes. But then again, I can avoid what I heard to be tough curves. And how important is getting a job in the summer (in terms of getting job experience)? Is it worth it to take classes so that I can have an easier schedule so that I can take a part time job during the fall?

5. May 14, 2007 #4
    I had a farm job too. It didn't pay very well, but I had a lot of fun being outdoors and I was in good shape at the end of the summer.

Do you have any computer nerd friends who can give you some help if you want to play around with some programming? This is cheaper and more fun than taking a class.

6. May 14, 2007 #5
    The only reason to get a job for the money. Experience = nil if your experience is not with a technical internship.

Taking classes in the summer is good in every way, except for burn out. In other words, you will thank yourself over and over for blasting away those credits, and the knowledge gained will give you a big head start. I suggest phys/math summer class if that's your concentration, and start learning programming on your own (computer science classes have a lot of stuff for software engineers that you dont need yet).

But don't burn out!

7. May 14, 2007 #6
    Thanks for the responses, everyone.

What would be considered "burn out"? How difficult is it to take Calculus III over six weeks? Should I take more than five semester units? What are some good c++ tutorials for a beginning programmer?

8. May 14, 2007 #7
    whatever classes you take over the summer at a community college should be a cake-walk. Once in a while there'll be a difficult professor at a cc. check ratemyprofessors.com and the lower the rating they have, the more likely they'll be a good professor since most of the cc students are lazy.

If you took AP calculus, then multivariable calc may be difficult, as high school teachers don't tend to teach AP calc well. If you're confident that you really understand the concepts from AP calc, then multivariable shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't take more than 5 semester units unless you're taking math/phys/cs and a GE. (Don't take 2 math/phys/cs classes)

9. May 15, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Alternatively, you could use your summer vacation to relax and have a break from school. After all, you've been working all year, and will have to work hard when you get to university, so take some time off, go on holiday, spend time with your friends-- that's what I did. Plus I got myself a job, as I needed some money to live on!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?