Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer break experiment Fun

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    Summer break experiment Fun!!

Hey i'm a first year physics student going on summer break and i was wondering if anyone had cool physics experiments i could do to keep my physics knowledge fresh (so i don't have to do JUST problems on paper)?? and kinda get some hands-on.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2
    Re: Summer break experiment Fun!!

Maybe make a little cloud chamber and try putting strong magnets on either side to try to deflect the differently charged particles in different directions to help you find out what particles you're getting.

You might even be able to analyze collisions and find out (or assume) what particles are hitting (non-charged particles will leave no noticeable trail) and what particles come out etc.

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3

ok, so i looked up cloud Chamber:" The cloud chamber, also known as the Wilson chamber, is used for detecting particles of ionizing radiation. In its most basic form, a cloud chamber is a sealed environment containing a supercooled, supersaturated water or alcohol vapor."

1-where and how am i supposed to supercool water (im guessing SUPERcool means very very very cold so colder then my fridge :P)
    2-Ionizing radiation?? how could i generate that lol

sorry for any obvious questions that seem simple to you :P

5. Apr 14, 2010 #4

If all the answers were given where would the fun be?

6. Apr 14, 2010 #5

You could build a device that runs directly downwind and is powered only by the wind but travels faster than the wind.

7. Apr 14, 2010 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Guess again - supercooled means cooled below freezing

You can't you need nature to provide some.

8. Apr 14, 2010 #7

Do something outdoors, unfortunately, the sunspot activity is at a minimum right now or else tracking those could be fun if you had a telescope. Something like electrolysis with solar cells is fun, and you can make Hydrogen bubbles that make a nice pop if you light them. . .

9. Apr 14, 2010 #8

touche :P good call ill figure it out :) thanks

10. Apr 14, 2010 #9

well that simplifies it :P thanks alot

11. Apr 14, 2010 #10

That sounds like an awesome fun challenge!! thanks

12. Apr 14, 2010 #11

cool :) thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook