1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer class question

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    I need to take Pre-Calculus before this Fall. There's only two choices, either take it online or CLEP it (test for credit). I can't take an in person class because my job's schedule is too nuts.

Has anyone ever taken a Math class online? Is it worth it?

Thanks for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2
    It will be the 'same material,' but the responsibility to actually learn the material will fall much more on your hands than it would in a classroom setting, especially if you take the exams online.

If you take the exams online, you will have to deal with the temptation to make them 'open book,' and whether or not your scores mean you understand the material....or understand where to look things up quickly.

Other than that, the material is what it is. However, without the structure of a classroom setting, it's up to you and your ability for self-evaluation to determine if you're really understanding things.
  4. May 3, 2010 #3
    It depends on how you are at learning at home as well as online classes. Have you taken an online class before? Unless you set a schedule and stick with it, things tend to get put off.

But with the resources available online now, I don't see why you couldn't do it.
  5. May 4, 2010 #4
    I've taken many online classes. If a professor makes the exam an online exam (as opposed to a written exam taken at a testing center,) they take into account the fact that you'll probably use the book, and design the questions such that you need an understanding of the material.

Most online math classes I know of require you to take exams in person, though... at least at the community college I attended.
  6. May 5, 2010 #5
    Are you good at self-teaching math? Self-teaching in general?

Here is my suggestion:
    1. Get a copy of the syllabus, or at least look at the course summary.
    2. Pick up a Pre-Calculus textbook.
    3. Just flip through the first couple chapters, read a little, work on the problems.

Just spend a couple hours on it. See how it goes, before making your decision.

I never actually took pre-calculus. I just picked up a textbook and taught myself while I took Calculus I, and it went fine. Just give it a couple hours and then decide.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook