Summer classes at a city college

In summary, the main difference between attending a city college for summer courses and a university for summer classes is the cost, with city colleges being $500 cheaper. As for the perception of grad schools, it is generally believed that they do not look down upon students who take classes at non-university institutions as long as they earn the credits and have their degree. Additionally, grad schools do not seem to have a preference for students who graduate in 3 or 3 1/2 years instead of 4, as long as they have completed all the necessary credits for their degree. This is supported by the fact that for most universities, only the course and credit information shows up on transcripts for non-university courses, without listing the grade earned
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok guys, what is the difference in going to a city college for summer courses as opposed to the university you currently go to for summer classes (except the $500 difference)? Would grad schools look down on it?

Also, do grad schools look well upon students who graduate in say, 3 years or 3 1/2 instead of 4 or are they neutral towards them?

Physics news on Phys.org
for most universities, for non-university earned credits, the only thing that shows up on your transcript are the course you took and acknowledgment that you received credit for that course. i took calc 2 at a state school last summer and on my transcript here at syracuse university it just shows that i earned 4 credits for calc 2. it doesn't even list my grade. so my assumption is that as long as you earn the credits, grad schools and such will not pay attention to the details, so long as you have your degree. i could be wrong but that's what i think

There are a few potential differences between taking summer classes at a city college versus your current university. One potential difference could be the class size and resources available. City colleges may have smaller class sizes and less resources compared to a university, which could affect the quality of education and learning experience. Another difference could be the level of rigor and difficulty of the courses offered. It's important to research and compare the curriculum and academic standards of both institutions to make an informed decision.

As for how graduate schools may view taking summer courses at a city college, it ultimately depends on the individual program and admissions criteria. Some graduate schools may not have a preference or bias towards either option, while others may view summer courses at a city college as less rigorous or prestigious compared to a university. It's important to consider the reputation and accreditation of the city college and how it may be perceived by the graduate programs you are interested in.

In terms of graduating in a shorter amount of time, it really depends on the individual student's academic performance and achievements. Grad schools are typically more concerned with the quality of your academic record and experiences, rather than the length of time it took to complete your degree. If you were able to complete your degree in a shorter amount of time while still maintaining a strong GPA and participating in extracurricular activities or research, it could potentially be viewed positively by grad schools. However, if you rushed through your coursework and did not excel academically, it may not be viewed as favorably. It's important to focus on achieving your academic goals and making the most of your education, rather than solely aiming for a shorter graduation timeline.

1. What courses are typically offered during summer classes at a city college?

Summer classes at city colleges typically offer a variety of courses in different subject areas, including general education requirements, major-specific courses, and elective classes. These courses are often condensed and cover the same material as a regular semester, but in a shorter period of time.

2. Can I transfer summer classes taken at a city college to another institution?

Yes, most city colleges are accredited and their summer classes can be transferred to other institutions. However, it is important to check with your intended transfer institution to ensure that the credits will be accepted.

3. How long do summer classes at a city college usually last?

Summer classes at city colleges typically last anywhere from 4 to 10 weeks, depending on the course and the institution. Some classes may meet daily, while others may only meet a few times per week.

4. Are summer classes at a city college more or less expensive than regular semester classes?

Summer classes at city colleges are often less expensive than regular semester classes. However, this can vary depending on the institution and the specific course. It is best to check with the city college for their specific tuition and fees.

5. Can I take summer classes at a city college if I am not a current student?

Yes, most city colleges offer summer classes to both current students and non-degree seeking students. Non-degree seeking students may need to complete an application and may have different registration processes and tuition rates. It is best to check with the city college for their specific policies and procedures.