Exploring My Math Minor Options: A Summer Scheduling Dilemma

In summary, the summer schedules came out and they completely messed me up. I was originally planning on taking Circuit Analysis I, Philosophy, Intro Engineering, and Linear Algebra. However, now I'm an EE major and my school does not require Linear Algebra, so I'll have to take two more classes to make up for it. If I do take Linear Algebra, it will conflict with my Circuit Analysis class which is more important.
Chunkysalsa
So summer schedules came out today and they completely messed me up. I was planning on taking Circuit Analysis I, Philosophy, Intro Engineering, and Linear Algebra.

Now I'm an EE major but my school does not require Linear Algebra, however I felt like I was missing something by not taking it (although I'm sure topics from LA are taught in many of my other classes). However just my luck LA conflicts in time with Circuits. My back ups were thermodynamics or dynamics (Required to take on) however they decided not to teach either of those in the summer. (They have in the past).

Now since I'm planning to take linear algebra, I'll be very close to getting a math minor. I would just have to take two more classes. I was planning on doing Complex Analysis and maybe PDE's. Here are the options
* MAA 4211 Advanced Calculus I
* MAA 4212 Advanced Calculus II
* MAA 4402 Complex Analysis
* MAD 3107 Discrete Mathematics
* MAD 4401 Numerical Analysis
* MAP 4231 Operations Research
* MAP 4341 Elementary Partial Differential Equations
* MAS 3203 Number Theory
* MAS 4156 Vector Analysis
* MAS 4301 Abstract Algebra
* MHF 3202 Foundations of Mathematics
* MHF 3404 History of Mathematics
* MTG 3212 Modern Geometry
* MTG 4302 Elementary Topology
* STA 4321 Probability & Statistics
* STA 4445 Probability Models

Now to make a (really) long story short. I have a hole in my summer schedule and the only thing I can really fill it with is Number Theory.

Is this class in anyway useful to me? I liked Calc 2 and ODE but I've never taken a proof based class ( though NT doesn't require the intro to proofs (foundations) class like some others)

Physics news on Phys.org
Number theory is not directly relevant to an EE major. So, no, it is not useful. However, if you think you can get a good grade in it, it won't hurt to take it.

Personally, I'd reconsider taking linear algebra if it's not required. I'm an EE major and linear algebra wasn't required for me either, but I took it anyway. It certainly didn't hurt to take it, but I don't think it was really necessary and most EEs I know didn't take it.

Oh I'd love to take Linear Algebra, its just that it conflicts time wise with my Circuit Analysis class ( which is way more important). Summer was really my one chance to take it though since I'll have a pretty loaded schedule during fall/spring.

Maybe I'll self-study since I'll have a lot of time over the summer.

1. How will taking a math minor benefit my academic and career goals?

Taking a math minor can provide a strong foundation in analytical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many industries. It can also open up opportunities for graduate studies in math-related fields or enhance your resume for jobs that require quantitative skills.

2. What are the requirements for a math minor?

The requirements for a math minor may vary depending on your university, but typically it involves taking a certain number of math courses, including introductory and advanced level courses. Some universities may also require a minimum GPA in these courses.

3. Can I complete a math minor during the summer?

Yes, it is possible to complete a math minor during the summer by taking courses at your university or through online courses. However, it is important to plan ahead and make sure the courses you need are offered during the summer and that they fit into your schedule.

4. How can I balance taking a math minor with my other summer plans?

It is important to prioritize and plan ahead when balancing a math minor with other summer plans. Consider taking courses that have a more flexible schedule or are offered online. You may also want to speak with an academic advisor to create a schedule that works for you.

5. Are there any resources available to help me decide which math courses to take for my minor?

Yes, most universities have academic advisors or math department faculty who can provide guidance on which courses would be most beneficial for your academic and career goals. You can also research the course descriptions and syllabi to get a better understanding of the material covered in each course.