1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer Employment Advice Needed

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    Hey I'm intending to get a B.A. in Physics and have started taking courses within the major
    this semester. Since I'm starting out in Mechanics, I didn't think that I had a good enough background to apply for REUs. Any advice on what I should do this summer (I can't afford to take classes)? After getting my degree, I'm tossing around the idea of getting a masters in Electrical Engineering.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

One thing about research postions is that there are a lot more of them than just the REUs and sometimes they just need a person to do some really basic data collection work so don't automatically discredit yourself if you really want to do something research-oriented.

If you can't get something research-oriented, there are other factors that are of equal or even more importance, such as pay or experience. Even if you're dead set on being a physicist for the rest of your life a job as a summer camp councillor can help you develop teaching and leadership skills and can be a lot of fun too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook