Summer Research at CERN or CalTech: Which is the Better Option for Grad School?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the summer research program at CERN and its benefits compared to a research opportunity at CALTECH. The program at CERN involves lectures, visits, and explanations of detector workings, as well as the possibility of leading to a publication. It is unclear how much this program would count towards applying to grad school, but it is suggested that it would be a valuable experience. The main question is whether to choose the CERN program or a research opportunity at CALTECH, which offers the potential for a publication and review letter from someone inside, but CERN is also highly regarded. The speaker suggests that it is a "luxury problem" and ultimately depends on whether the individual is open to international experience or prefers
Silviu
Hello! About summer research at CERN, through their program, what does that involves? I mean I understand there will be lectures and visiting and explanations about how the detectors work and all that. But there will be also actual research to lead to a publication or anything like that? Also, how much does this counts for applying to grad school? I guess my main question is, between this CERN summer program and a research at CALTECH for example (assuming I choose CALTECH as my main target for grad school) which one should I choose. If I do a research at CALTECH I can actually get a publication and also a review letter from someone from the inside when applying to CALTECH but on the other hand, CERN is CERN. So what would be the best option? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a luxury problem to me. If you are US based and are open to some international experience, go for CERN. If you are US oriented and want to stay there, go for CalTech. You can't miss !

Likes fresh_42

1. What is the duration of the Summer Internship at CERN?

The Summer Internship at CERN typically lasts for 8-13 weeks, depending on the specific program and project.

2. What are the eligibility requirements for the Summer Internship at CERN?

To be eligible for the Summer Internship at CERN, applicants must be at least 18 years old, enrolled in a university program, and have a strong background in physics, engineering, computer science, or related fields. Fluency in English is also required.

3. What are the benefits of participating in the Summer Internship at CERN?

Participating in the Summer Internship at CERN provides a unique opportunity to work alongside world-renowned scientists and engineers, gain hands-on experience with cutting-edge technology, and contribute to groundbreaking research. Additionally, interns receive a stipend, travel allowance, and access to CERN's facilities and events.

4. Are there any specific projects available for the Summer Internship at CERN?

Yes, there are various projects available for the Summer Internship at CERN in different fields such as particle physics, accelerator technology, computer science, and more. Applicants can browse the available projects on CERN's website and indicate their preferences in the application.

5. How competitive is the Summer Internship at CERN?

The Summer Internship at CERN is highly competitive, with a large number of applications received each year. The selection process is rigorous and based on academic achievements, relevant experience, and motivation. It is recommended to have a strong academic record and relevant research experience to increase the chances of being selected for the program.