Find Physics Internships: Tips & Advice for Success

In summary, the person is seeking advice on finding, landing, and making the most out of physics internships. They have already found some potential options and plan on applying to as many as possible. They are also looking for information on when applications open and close for these internships. Suggestions include applying to REUs and SULI internships, and considering the Lee Teng program if they qualify. The SULI application opens in mid-October and ends on January 10th, while REU applications should be submitted by early December.
LeftMyHeartInErebor
I'm trying to think ahead and start looking for summer internships, I'll be done with my sophomore year of physics by then. I know there are a lot out there, I know of a few, have stumbled on a few, how do I find more? I know that getting as much experience as possible is necessary for my future. I'm reading through the similar discussions (old threads), but I'm looking for anything new also. Any advice on finding, landing and making the most out of physics internships, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply to all the REUs that you can (the limiting factor will likely be how much you want to bug people for letters of recommendation). Also, consider SULI internships (and Lee Teng and such, if you qualify!).

Dishsoap said:
Apply to all the REUs that you can (the limiting factor will likely be how much you want to bug people for letters of recommendation). Also, consider SULI internships (and Lee Teng and such, if you qualify!).
thank you, that's my plan. After posting this I found a list of a bunch that I read through looking for my interests so now I have a list of 30! I'll look up what you posted.

Do you know when they start accepting applications? All the pages I am finding were for last year. Looks like most stop in mid february but I'm not sure when they'll start.

LeftMyHeartInErebor said:
thank you, that's my plan. After posting this I found a list of a bunch that I read through looking for my interests so now I have a list of 30! I'll look up what you posted.

Do you know when they start accepting applications? All the pages I am finding were for last year. Looks like most stop in mid february but I'm not sure when they'll start.

The SULI application opens up in mid-October (I think) and ends on January 10th generally. For REUs, I applied for a bunch during early December one year, so definitely by then.

1. What are the benefits of doing a physics internship?

Doing a physics internship provides several benefits, including gaining hands-on experience in a professional setting, building a network of contacts in the field, improving technical and problem-solving skills, and enhancing your resume for future job opportunities.

2. How can I find physics internships?

There are several ways to find physics internships, including checking online job boards, networking with professionals in the field, attending job fairs and career events, and reaching out to companies directly. Your university's career center may also have resources for finding internships.

3. What should I include in my application for a physics internship?

Your application for a physics internship should include a cover letter, resume, and any relevant academic transcripts or references. Additionally, you may want to highlight any relevant coursework, projects, or skills that make you a strong candidate for the internship.

4. How can I prepare for a physics internship?

To prepare for a physics internship, you should research the company or organization you will be interning with, brush up on your technical skills, and familiarize yourself with any relevant software or equipment. It may also be helpful to set goals for what you want to accomplish during your internship.

5. What can I do to make the most of my physics internship?

To make the most of your physics internship, you should communicate openly with your supervisor and colleagues, take on new challenges and tasks, ask questions, and seek feedback. Additionally, you can use the opportunity to network and learn about different career paths in the field of physics.