Is the NIDA Summer Internship Program Competitive for Physics Majors?

• Thread starter austim14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, a high school senior is considering participating in an internship at the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which is primarily geared towards minorities and biological sciences. However, the student plans on majoring in physics and wonders if it would be worth participating. The program offers a stipend and any research experience would be useful. Additionally, there are other opportunities for physics research at NASA and MIT. The student also asks if these programs are competitive.
austim14
I am a Senior in high school, and my physics teacher gave our class information about an intern at the National Institute on drug abuse. It is geared for minorities which I am, and theI can receive stipend. However it is primarily geared for biological sciences. I plan on majorin in physics. Would it be worth participtaing in this? Here is a link for the program. http://www.drugabuse.gov/sites/default/files/files/2013SummerResearchBrochure.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Any research experience would be useful. But there are other opportunities out there for physics - NASA and MIT both offer summer programs for high school students.

Are those programs competitive?

What is a summer internship and why is it important?

A summer internship is a temporary work experience during the summer months in a specific field or industry. It is important because it allows students or recent graduates to gain hands-on experience, develop new skills, and make professional connections in their desired field.

How do I find a summer internship?

There are several ways to find a summer internship. You can search online job portals, attend career fairs, network with professionals in your desired field, or reach out to companies directly to inquire about internship opportunities.

What are the benefits of doing a summer internship?

Some benefits of doing a summer internship include gaining practical skills and knowledge, building your resume and professional network, and potentially securing a job offer for after graduation.

Do all internships pay?

No, not all internships are paid. Some internships may offer a stipend or compensation, while others may be unpaid. It is important to research the compensation and benefits offered by each internship opportunity before applying.

What should I expect during a summer internship?

During a summer internship, you can expect to work closely with professionals in your field, complete tasks and projects related to your role, attend meetings and events, and receive feedback and mentorship from your supervisor. Each internship experience may vary depending on the company and industry.