1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer Jobs

1. Jan 18, 2007 #1
    Next year I will start my Ph.D. in physics. The last two summers, I have done REUs, but this summer I am not eligible. Does anyone know of any good summer jobs for someone in my situation? I am not necessarily looking for a job in research, just something fun that will require me to use my physics background. Is there any standard REU-type job that graduates often do the summer before they before grad school?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2
    They're out there. For example, national labs (Los Alamos, Pacific Northwest, etc) typically have summer programs for a variety of education levels.
  4. Jan 18, 2007 #3
    I know that there are some programs out there that give you a chance for the summer after you graduate. I wish I could give you a link, but i'm sure if you looked for one, you'll find it.
  5. Jan 19, 2007 #4
    Two additional thoughts:

Many faculty in graduate programs will offer summer RA's to incoming graduate students if you contact faculty that you are interested in working for -- it's a good (but non-committed) test run if you might want to continue as an RA with the group.

You could also perhaps directly contact groups that you have done research for in the past, since they know they won't have to train you again.

Good luck!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?