Summer Opportunities for Second Year Students?

In summary, if you want to gain research experience in the field of physics or math, there are various internship opportunities available to you through programs such as the NSERC USRA and Experience Awards. It may also be helpful to reach out to professors or PhD students in your areas of interest to express your interest in their research and potential internship opportunities.
Ju00611
I just finished my first year in chemical engineering and I am making the switch to a double major in math/physics next year. I'm going to a mid-sized school in Canada.

What kind of research opportunities are there for me after I complete my second year next summer? What kind of interships are available? (I would prefer something in the field of physics or math but I would be willing to work at, for example, a bank if I felt the experience might be valuable). Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
At a research university, this is very easy. Of course that's an unpaid internship, but the experience is much more valuable for a scientific career than working at a bank.

I just read what research they do, find something that's interesting. Then I email the PhD worker(who is to be the person I work for/the supervisor of some sorts) rather than the professor and express my interests. I have been invited and offered a project 2/2.

Then again, here in Europe there isn't the tradition of competitive summer internships.

Of course it helps when you have done the coursework at that uni that connects with the nature of the research already. But this summer I am working as a programmer and I did zero programming courses at my current uni.

So I guess it depends a lot where you are at. Makes it a lot easier/cheaper to have a internship in the town you already live in anyway.
If you want to code, I guess that's easier to set up than actual experimental work.

Ju00611 said:
I just finished my first year in chemical engineering and I am making the switch to a double major in math/physics next year. I'm going to a mid-sized school in Canada.

What kind of research opportunities are there for me after I complete my second year next summer? What kind of interships are available? (I would prefer something in the field of physics or math but I would be willing to work at, for example, a bank if I felt the experience might be valuable). Thanks!

Since you are attending a Canadian university, the first places I would check would be the NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA), and the NSERC Experience Awards. Here are the links to the websites:

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/UG-PC/USRA-BRPC_eng.asp

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/UG-PC/Experience-Experience_eng.asp

The physics or math departments at your school should also have additional information about these programs. I would also check there for any additional internship programs available to undergraduate students.

What are summer opportunities for second year students?

Summer opportunities for second year students refer to any programs, internships, or research opportunities available during the summer months specifically for students who have completed their second year of college.

Why should second year students participate in summer opportunities?

Participating in summer opportunities can provide second year students with valuable experience, skills, and networking opportunities that can enhance their academic and professional development. It can also help them explore potential career paths and make them more competitive in the job market.

What types of summer opportunities are available for second year students?

There are various types of summer opportunities available for second year students, including internships, research positions, study abroad programs, volunteer opportunities, and summer courses. These opportunities can be found in a wide range of fields and industries.

How can second year students find summer opportunities?

Second year students can find summer opportunities through their college or university's career center, departmental advisors, online job boards, professional organizations, and personal networking. They can also directly contact companies or organizations they are interested in working for.

Are there any requirements for second year students to participate in summer opportunities?

The requirements for summer opportunities may vary depending on the program or organization. Some may have specific GPA requirements, while others may require certain skills or experience. It is important for second year students to carefully review the requirements and qualifications before applying to any summer opportunity.